What's new
What's new

Making gears

Jdaniel343

Plastic
Hi I am somewhat new to the forum, so please forgive my ignorance.
I would like to make a set of gears for my lathe.
I got the pitch of the gears from someone on the internet who had done this before. Pitch is 24.
Not sure what this pitch means. Is it diametral ptich or pitch diamater?
I am pretty sure it is the dametral.
Thanks for any help you can provide.

That's a tall order there partner. I have made some gears out of necessity but It is not for the faint of heart. You might want to consider buying some on Ebay or something until you get more experience. Just my two cents worth.

May I humbly suggest you take a read through this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Gears-Gear-Cutting-Ivan-Law/dp/0852429118

It will bring you up-to-speed on gear cutting. This book was a great help to me when I started out cutting my own gears.

There is quite a bit to it. Straight spur gears are pretty easy, but even there, you have to mind a good number of parameters and principles.

To answer your immediate question, 24 is most likely the diametral pitch, which describes how many involute teeth are to fit on a 1" diameter pitch circle.

Regards.

Finegrain

I would agree with Finegrain's book suggestion. I have a copy of this volume which is written especially for the amateur to encourage him to 'have a go' in his backyard workshop. It contains a lot of valuable information and pictures of Myford Super 7 and Dore Westbury miller setups. I haven't bitten the bullet yet, but now have the dividing head and have made the arbor for the cutters so it is only a matter of time..........
Kind regards
Steve

Thanks for info

I just orered the book that was suggested.
Thanks
I have an idea of how I want to cut these spur gears using mill and dividing head. Just need the calculations to obtain the right size OD.

gear cutting

I just orered the book that was suggested.
Thanks
I have an idea of how I want to cut these spur gears using mill and dividing head. Just need the calculations to obtain the right size OD.
Hello: If this is a spur gear: It has been awhile but:
D= number of teeth +2 divided by the dp as I recall.. In your case dp is 24..
Now if the gear you want to cut is helical, then that is a bird of a different feather...
Mike

It's not that difficult. Once you know the OD, and buy the right cutter for the number of teeth, the cutter will have the plunge depth printed right on it. The biggest problem is not messing up when turning the crank on the dividing head. The first time I cut a gear, it was "wow, I'm cutting a gear" for the first ten teeth. After about 50 it gets kind of tedious. After 120 or so, buying them looks better and better. BTW, I've cut many Delrin gears for my lathe. They work great, are plenty durable, don't wear out the cutters and are much easier then steel or cast iron.

CH

Just ran into that on my old LeBlonde, LeBlonde wanted close to 300.00
for a new gear. Al quoted me 200, I sent him the gear to duplicate, haven't seen it yet, but he seemed very nice and helpful over the phone. For 200 bucks no way I would take the time to try and make it.

http://gearsmade.com/

Just ran into that on my old LeBlonde, LeBlonde wanted close to 300.00
for a new gear. Al quoted me 200, I sent him the gear to duplicate, haven't seen it yet, but he seemed very nice and helpful over the phone. For 200 bucks no way I would take the time to try and make it.

http://gearsmade.com/

I had no idea "Al was so close to me ...could almost throw a stone to each other.

Jay
www.CandLMachine.com

Hello: I made a set of gears for my 1940 LeBlond 15"..
Both were cluster gears so had to cut one gear, the large one then cut the smaller one and press on then set with setscrews on the parting line..
I cut all of these spur gears with my K&T 2hl with a mod H dividing head.. Mike

Back