What's new
What's new

baldor pedestal grinder

buster55

Plastic
looking at a baldor pedestal grinder coming up on auction about 60 miles from me, have not actually looked at it but called the guy and he says it is a 460 volt single phase motor. I aske him if that was correct and he said yes. don't know a lot about electricity but never heard of a 460 volt single phase. is there such a thing? could this be made to run of a 220 volt 3 phase rotary phase converter? my converter is 5 hp the grinder is 2 hp thanks for any help

Get a picture of the nameplate or at least get the model number. The model can be looked up on the Baldor website to see what it actually is.

I have a 440/220 V three phase transformer that lets me run a 440 V motor from my 220 V rotary phase converter.

Larry

My Synchrowave 250 ran 460V single phase.

Don't think I've ever ran into a motor that was 460V single phase, but I guess there's no reason they can't do it if they wanted to.

AFAIK, all of my Baldor motors are 3 phase.

My Synchrowave 250 ran 460V single phase.

Don't think I've ever ran into a motor that was 460V single phase, but I guess there's no reason they can't do it if they wanted to.

AFAIK, all of my Baldor motors are 3 phase.

Welders often use 2 phases of a 3 phase supply, but they are not single phase. You could say it uses 2 phases of a 3 phase supply. You could say it uses 460 volts, but you could not call it single phase. Further, welders use two phases of a 3 phase supply, but motors usually do not. So in answer to the OP question. I think the description you received is in error. It is a 3 phase grinder and it should be configurable to run on 208 or 460 volts. My Baldor grinder is.

Welders often use 2 phases of a 3 phase supply, but they are not single phase. You could say it uses 2 phases of a 3 phase supply. You could say it uses 460 volts, but you could not call it single phase.
Well, you can call it what you want.

Miller calls it single phase, the data plate says single phase- that's good enough for me.

Input Power: 208/230/460 Volts; Single Phase; 50/60 Hz, Rated Output: 200 Amps at 28 VDC, 60% Duty Cycle, 250 Amps at 30 VDC, 40% Duty Cycle, Output Range: 3 - 310 Amps

Miller 951117 Syncrowave 250 DX TIG Welder 200/230/460 Volt

Sure there are single ohase 460V motors, I have spec'd and used them. Half and 3/4 HP at that.

And, yes you sure can call it single phase. That's what it is.

All large air conditioning condensing units are single voltage. I can't say for sure about all manufacturers, but on Carrier's 480V 3 phase units, the compressors are 3 phase while all the condenser fan motors are 480 single phase. Depending on the particular size, those units will have anywhere from 2 to 12 condenser fans. I've always assumed they do that because its cheaper than using 3 phase motors primarily on the control side since each motor is then controlled by a 2 pole contactor and there's no need to have provisions for protection against single phasing as is necessary on 3 phase motors.

That said, no clue who (as an original purchaser) would want or need a 480 single phase grinder.

the guy just sent me a picture of the motor tag. don't know how to post it but tag says cat no 1021wd, H.P 1.5,volts 460,AMPS 1.3, cycle 50/60, RPM 1500/1800, frame 528M, serial no 780, spec no G10-281-4 Baldor grinder

That said, no clue who (as an original purchaser) would want or need a 480 single phase grinder.

Anyone whose shop is wired 480/277V 3phase and lit by 277V lights.

At a prior employer, we had to put in a 480V to 208/120V transformer to get 120V out on the shop floor for various office structures that were put in.

i suspect our differences in this thread are all about semantics and the English definition. Personally, when somebody says single phase I think phase to neutral connections, but that is also wrong according to Wikipedia. Wiki says that single phase can also be phase to phase, but then Wiki then contradicts itself by then calling phase to phase loads as split phase. see Single-phase electric power - Wikipedia So even Wiki is confused over the definition.

the guy just sent me a picture of the motor tag. don't know how to post it but tag says cat no 1021wd, H.P 1.5,volts 460,AMPS 1.3, cycle 50/60, RPM 1500/1800, frame 528M, serial no 780, spec no G10-281-4 Baldor grinder
Baldor says that's a 3-phase.

If it was a 1022WD it would be the same grinder but single phase 1hp.

I have the same Baldor but it's 240/480 (230/460) three phase. I also have a 240v 3/4 hp that is single phase, but it uses the 3 phase motor with a permanent run cap wired in (factory) set up it starts on single phase. Lots of possibilities when you have little load at start up.

Call Baldor - they are very helpful.

Why 480? Lots of shops have 480. Easy wiring - instead of multiple home runs you can run a 30A (or more) circuit around the shop and put fused disconnects at each machine. You see this a lot for HVAC units also. Of course, you can do this at lower voltages also, but larger wire etc. Common around here to see a single 3 phase 480v 60amp feed. That a LOT of power capability.

Anyone whose shop is wired 480/277V 3phase and lit by 277V lights.

At a prior employer, we had to put in a 480V to 208/120V transformer to get 120V out on the shop floor for various office structures that were put in.

Not questioning the voltage, but why single phase when such a facility would obviously have 3 phase power available. I've got a 3 phase Baldor grinder and a 3 phase Baldor buffer, and both are dual voltage. Going to a 480 single phase grinder gets you a capacitor and start switch, both of which tend to be primary trouble spots on single phase motors. It also gets you an oddball piece of machinery whose resale value would be very little as compared to the more common 120/240 single phase or 230/460 3 phase grinders, assuming the buyer has enough knowledge to know what he's looking at.

Back