What's new
What's new

Making a tapered gib for a Clausing 59XX

lazz

Stainless
To begin I would like to thank everyone for their comments on an earlier post asking about cast iron.
And the two very generous gentlemen that provided me with a life time supply... I rough cut 2 blanks from each source and they got mixed up so Im not sure which is which... :)
Either way. Thank you to both tommy1010 and Daryl...

This is how this ol fart made a gib...
It didnt happen with out pictures...

Once I had a blank it went to the fixture on the new to me Rockwell 12-120 horizontal. Thanks John Evans for hooking me up with the mill...

A key fits in a table slot and 3/8" bolts hold the fixture to the table.
Four 1/4" button head machine screws hold the blank in the fixture.
The step to hold the blank was cut on the horizontal mill.
The mill managed a 50 thousands pass with out protest.
Once the angle was complete the part was flipped.
The last pass brought the part to the finished dimension.

Off to the surface grinder to cut the taper.
In the past I would stack the new gib on the fragment of the old gib to get the angle. PDW 's idea about a sine fixture inspired me to dig out my compound sine table. Several 7-10 thousands cuts with coolant made for a nice taper .

A gib is close to fitting and now it is time to blue it up and scrape it.

After roughing the 4 blanks, I would guess it took about 2 hours to finish the first gib including setting up the sine table. The second gib was well under an hour with everything setup and ready to go...

Some of the things I learned along the way.
You must mark the side and end before cutting the taper.:wall:
Laying the part on an angle on the magnetic chuck makes the part stay cooler with less bend but a bunch more air cutting on auto feed or worst an arm work out in manual mode.

Easily the hardest part of this project was lifting the sine table from the low shelf...As I age the ground gets farther and farther away...

Thank everyone for their ideas and support that made this project do able.

Back