What's new
What's new

Manual Lathe LED Light

I would get a couple of those spot lights for about half the cost of the strip. Mount the spot on the back of the carriage and it will travel with the tool. Best light right where you need it. Years ago I got a cheap halogen light and mounted it to the carriage on my manual lathe. Surprisingly the bulb lasted ten years. Next time it burns out I will replace the lamp with an LED type. I like the small heads on these Ikea lamps. Gets the light into tight spaces. JANSJO LED work lamp - black - IKEA
You don't have to use their base. Just a bracket with about a 7/16" hole in it. The base of the flexible stem is threaded with a nut.

-DU-

It's available with low voltage DC for safety.

Most likely just a wall-wart. Not sure if it is for safety but certainly reduces the amount of copper wire (cross section not length) that needs to be shipped with it.

I suspect the mag base is a bit whimpy but that could be changed.

While a mag base can be handy I would lose the base and attach it firmly to some convenient part of the lathe. As already mentioned I like the back side of the carriage.

Sorry I didn't notice you were in NZ. That would explain limited choices.

-DU-

Hi Dazz, if you have a Bunnings nearby have a look at their 'Dale' clip lamp .. 5W LED has a bit more punch than the Ikea Jansjo. Nice stiffish water/oil-resistant gooseneck, only problem I've found is the spring in the clip is TOO strong & eventually causes the plastic clamp to crack .. this could be accelerated by fumes from my favourite cutting oil but the spring would be appropriate for an all-metal welding earth clamp & does hold tenaciously on the 16g splash back on the lathe.

I think you are right about the spot light. I made a frame overhead and placed a 48" LED shop light above my Nardini lathe. It's really brighter than I like and also I realized that a darker environment with a bright spot tends to help with focus, I mean it tends to keep my vision on the area I need to pay attention to.

I've had decent success with a slightly odd arrangement. It is the pretty much obvious combination of:
1. A magnet
2. Some large diameter (3/4" or 1") loc-line attached to the magnet
3. A cobbled up (or these days 3D printed) flashlight holder.
4. A righteous bright and rigtheous cheap LED flashlight.

I move these around a lot, so I'll take the batteries over having to run wires hither and yon - for the lathe specific mounting advice above may be better.

I will strongly second (third?) the argument for 2 or 3 lights rather than 1 "big" one - it's much easier to get light to fill in dark spots and get things out of the shadows....

Hi
At present, I use a small thin torch to see inside dark places.
I am not keen on having trailing wires.
A flexible light with fixed wiring and low voltage LEDs is my preferred option.

Back