What's new
What's new

Which manual lathe's have a repositionable compound ?

DDoug

Diamond
My sheldon "R" series has the compound on a long dovetail, it can be
positioned anywhere along it, and it came with an extra blank plate
for making your own custom toolholders.

I thought I saw a lathe with that similar feature, but cannot seem to find it.

I think it said R.E.M. or Harrison, but those don't show this feature.

You mean to say the compound can also be slid along the cross slide with a dovetail? I have not seen that feature on a lathe. I have seen a Korean South Bend which had a dovetail cut in the back part of the cross slide which which one could mount a rear tool post or some other tooling. I never saw any factory tooling that used this dovetail, only that it was there if one wanted to make use of it.

I have also seen Tee slots used. I believe Emco uses this on there larger lathes. (by larger I mean 11" & 13" swing). The ones I remember seeing have full length (of the cross slide) Tee slots. It looks as though one could mount two compounds on such lathe.

My Emco-Maier V10-P has the longitudinal Tee slots on the cross slide and yes, the compound rest may be positioned anywhere on the cross slide.

Arminius

Ml7 can not have the cross slide positioned on any of the t slots as there spacing is odd, plus there's a darn great protrusion sticking out that it pivots on!

My Harrison (M300) has the compound swivel fixed; but does have a sort of dovetail arrangement and accessories to allow mounting of toolposts and other accesories (such as a Versamil) at any point along the cross slide.

Back