What's new
What's new

Manual for old Dumore No.5 Tool Post Grinder

rgerlach

Aluminum
Can't seem to find a manual for an old Dumore Tool Post Grinder. The motor identifies it as "No.5 The Master". Dumore cannot supply a manual for it so I am left to searching the internet for help.

I assume this is the right forum making a request like this. If not, please let me know.

Ron

I have since found that my tool post grinder is a 1950's vintage unit and apparently predates the 5 series and the 57 series. It must not be very common which I hope explains why no one responded with any help with the manual.

Ron

I have since found that my tool post grinder is a 1950's vintage unit and apparently predates the 5 series and the 57 series. It must not be very common which I hope explains why no one responded with any help with the manual.

Ron

I have one of these too. Picked it up locally for $250 with everything but the 1/4 collet spindle insert was missing collets and a collet nut, which I made myself - well, I modified an Ingersol-Rand die-grinder collet, but made the collet nut myself from O1. Works like a charm and only .0012 runout 1/2" from the collet face.

I can't find manuals either, but the model 57 is very close. My motor comes with oil cups, no switch but instead a plug port into which I insert the power cord. It screams like a banshee, and gets VERY hot to the touch, but seems to perform well.

Does yours get very hot? Would like to compare notes, if you're still around.

Torin...

Thanks Gary! This is much closer to my model, but my model is still a wee bit older since this manual refers to sealed motor bearings whereas mine uses oil cups, but I like the extra detail about the insert spindle and inserts - just like mine.

Now if only I can determine if the motor getting very hot to the touch is normal, I can start using this device without worrying. For the time being, I'll use it in short bursts and let it cool a bit between sessions.

Torin...

Hi,

I have the same No. 5 Dumore The Master. Mine too gets hot and I give it breaks whenever it heats up.

What did you learn about the motor getting hot?

Regards,

Gray

Typical induction motors have a temperature-rise rating dependent on the class of insulation on the windings. The lowest class insulation, class A, has an allowable rise of 55C, but that starts at the 'standard' ambient temp of 40C. Therefore, even an older motor can reach temperatures near 200F and be within 'normal' operating parameters. The actual temperature on the case will likely be a little lower. The specified temp rise is at maximum rated power which one is not likely to see on a tool-post grinder. If you can hold your hand on the motor for more than a second or two, its probably fine.

I'm going from ancient memory and there are motor masters on this board so they may have different information. If you have a laser thermometer and can measure the temp you're concerned about and post it here, someone will be able to tell you if it is a concern.

I think mine is a 57 and the motor is loud as hell. It has an internal fan and external air filter because it moves so much air through the windings. Probably gets warm but I doubt it could get hot with that much airflow.

Back