What's new
What's new

Maren automatic boring head shank conversion to MT4

Hi there,

I recently purchased a Maren automatic boring head from a Chap a few towns away, very exited to plug it into my milling machine and have some fun but, first I need to get the shank off to purchase and replace it with a MT4 counterpart.

Does anybody perhaps have one of these boring heads? or any sort of documentation that would have accompanied them from the manufacturer?

Or perhaps some advice w.r.t removing the existing shank. I understand they are either bolted on (not likely in this application), pressed in or screwed in, how should I go about removing it?

Thank you in advance for any and all feedback

Please see below some pictures... if they come through.

Sincerely,
The vanillamachinist

Attachments

• Maren boring head 5.jpg
    Maren boring head 5.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 123
  • Maren boring head 4.jpg
    Maren boring head 4.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 88
  • Maren boring head 3.jpg
    Maren boring head 3.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 96
  • Maren boring head 2.jpg
    Maren boring head 2.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Maren boring head 1.jpg
    Maren boring head 1.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 104
Maren Boring Head Shank Change

Gidday. How did you go removing the shank on your boring head? I have the same head and need to remove the shank as well.
Regards..

I recently purchased a Maren automatic boring head from a Chap a few towns away, very exited to plug it into my milling machine and have some fun but, first I need to get the shank off to purchase and replace it with a MT4 counterpart.

Does anybody perhaps have one of these boring heads? or any sort of documentation that would have accompanied them from the manufacturer?

Or perhaps some advice w.r.t removing the existing shank. I understand they are either bolted on (not likely in this application), pressed in or screwed in, how should I go about removing it?

Sincerely,
The vanillamachinist[/QUOTE]

Twists

Hi,

It twists off ( right hand ). I made a "socket" for it.
on the other side of the socket I welded a nut and drove it off gently with a 1/2 impact gun.
@Vanillamachinist > take out the oiling port so you can turn it.
Cheers
01.jpg
02.jpg

I also own a Maren boring head which is silky smooth in its operation and appears to be well made although doing a web search reveals very few hits. If memory serves me well, the chap i bought it off said they were manufactured in the Czech Republic (or maybe Slovakia??) Unfortunately, it came without documentation. Do any of you folk have an operators instruction manual that you would be prepared to share.

Twists

Hi,

It twists off ( right hand ). I made a "socket" for it.
on the other side of the socket I welded a nut and drove it off gently with a 1/2 impact gun.
@Vanillamachinist > take out the oiling port so you can turn it.
Cheers
View attachment 340591
View attachment 340592
Hi MkMachine,

Thank you for the reply and apologies for the late response, I sort of forgot about the post right after I posted it,

I also own a Maren boring head which is silky smooth in its operation and appears to be well made although doing a web search reveals very few hits. If memory serves me well, the chap i bought it off said they were manufactured in the Czech Republic (or maybe Slovakia??) Unfortunately, it came without documentation. Do any of you folk have an operators instruction manual that you would be prepared to share.
Hi Halsey,

Unfortunately no documentation sorry, in fact the information you provided above is new to me and much appreciated.

Love your music btw.

Hi there,

Sincerely,
The vanillamachinist

I too came into possession of a Maren boring head in superb condition fitted with an R8 shank. I need to convert it to an ISO30 (or NT30). My Maren head has an m20 x 1.0 pitch thread. I am unable to find an ISO30/M20x1.0 adaptor (or for that matter an NT30/m20x1.0 adapter) for love nor money. Would you know where i might find one of these by any chance?
Cheers
Halsey

Back