What's new
What's new

Marvel Model 8 lower wheel replacement...HELP!!

PCFree50

Plastic
Replacing a lower drive wheel on a Model 8. I am replacing with the Darcy REX fully assembled with bearings and axel shaft.
I have the old wheel off the shaft but don't know how to get the shaft out of the cast iron mount. I have removed the jamb-nut and set screw from the bottom thnking that locked it in but no change. I can see a pin is driven through near the end of the cast mount.
I have an installation and operation manual but no service manual. Any experience here?

You need to post pictures..

the last marvel 8 series 2 that I worked on had a jam and to locking screws one was used to push the shaft out..

So what I am seeing at the end of the casting is the actual shaft and not just a dust cap?

So what I am seeing at the end of the casting is the actual shaft and not just a dust cap?

There is a dust cap in the end of the lower wheel casting on the older Marvel 8 machines. I usually try to tap it sideways (on one side with a punch to cock it on the bore) so I can get ahold of it. One you remove that, you are looking at the end of the shaft. Make sure to remove the tapered pin (from the bottom up) and the set screw (which is essentially your lower wheel tracking bolt).

Than get an aluminum or brass bar and go to town!

By the way, when properly maintained and cleaned, this shaft should be easy to install and remove - so make sure the bore is clean and the shaft can slide in easily before you put all that effort in to lifting the new wheel assembly in to place.

--Chris

Thanks, Chris! Do you work on this stuff for a living? Or do you just like machines like the Model-8?

Thanks, Chris! Do you work on this stuff for a living? Or do you just like machines like the Model-8?

I’ve been a bandsaw tech - essentially a Marvel guy - for 23 years, and I’ve spent my fair share on the bottom side of plenty of Marvel saws!

Blade not tracking on lower wheel correctly

I’ve been a bandsaw tech - essentially a Marvel guy - for 23 years, and I’ve spent my fair share on the bottom side of plenty of Marvel saws!

I followed your advice and cleaned up the inside diameter. The wheel and axle slid in smoothly and pin pulled it into place. I threw on an old blade to line up the wheel and it is tracking way off. almost off the lower wheel while riding up against the shoulder of the upper wheel. Correct me if I'm wrong, the lower wheel alignment is guided by how the blade comes off the alignment guide and rollers that re-align the blade the 90 degrees?
IMG-3064.jpg
IMG-3065.jpg
Wondering if I am missing an adjustment or should I add shims here?
IMG-3066.jpg
I am using the Darcy replacement wheel with axle and the way they machine the axel gives quite the adjustment yet from fully bottoming the adjustment screw to backing it all the way out, nothing changes.

One other thing I wasn't sure if it was off, the inside edge of the casting is right up against the inner bearing race and rubs on the plastic insert of the sealed bearing. Darcy doesn't show a spacer there in their schematics only the ones used with the open bearing in the original design and are listed as "obsolete. Should there be anything between the bearing and the casting boss?

Last edited:

Back