What's new
What's new

Master Lock steel softer than expected

jkilroy

Diamond
So a friend of mine brings me this lock that is made for locking your trailer hitch, made by Master Lock. Looks like this...

2847datsc.jpg

Anyway, his hitch was just a tad wide and the pin would not engage the lock and he wanted me to trim back the tapered head just a bit to make it work. I am thinking this stuff is probably some hardened stainless. I was concerned it would be a bitch to cut but once it was in the lathe it cut like 303, smooth as glass. I don't know how much actual security you might be buying with this lock.

Is this typical or should the customer expect more?

I don't think that shear pin could be hardened...too much danger for a mis-temper and have a catastrophic fracture failure which would have bad consequences for somebody.

I think it's just a PITA device designed to put the thief down the road to someone else's trailer that's less secured.

What do you expect, Master-Lock is "global"
now as in Chinese. Another long time trusted US
brand is now a Chinese POS,...........Bob

There's nothing in the world that you could make a pin that size out of, that wouldn't stop a good pair of bolt cutters, or for that matter, even a good sized hammer.

Didn't you see the recent thread here?

Even if it *had* been heat-treated, nothing
stops a) a die grinder with cut-off wheel, or
b) a plasma cutter.

Jim

The pin is installed in the receiver. There is no way to get to it with a pair of bolt cutters.

Locks only serve to keep honest people honest. They will not stop a thief, their job is to inconvenience the thief enough the thief will look elsewhere.

Even the best and most expensive locks and safes are rated in the length of time an experienced safecracker will require to open the lock.

Often the fastest way through a lock is around it. If your receiver is locked to your hitch, how is the hitch ball fastened to the receiver? Many times it is simply tightened with a wrench. Unscrew the ball, and wheel the trailer over to the waiting thief's vehicle.

Those battery grinders are great for a minute or two. On the third minute the battery goes caput!
Heck, a battery powered dremel with a cutoff wheel would snatch a bike!

My epiphany on Master locks occurred in junior high school when we all used Master combination locks, about $1.29 IIRC, having a nice HARDENED stamped into the shackle. Some idiot was always putting one throught the chainlink fence gate and I recall maintenance needed one well placed hammer blow to knock the lock off or once, an uninformed school worker brought out some 18" bolt cutters which went through the shackle like a knife through cold butter. Some years later another American lock with tubular key and same HARDENED stamped in shackle yielded to 24" bolt cutter in college. Both locks were US made. As Evan pointed out grinder will make short work of these even if they were 'hardened' but a real hardened shackle would dent the cutters. At least that is my experience trying to cut hardened fish hook ends out of people.

Hardened is relative. Harden enough, you don't need a bolt cutter, just a small ball pien hammer and a good sharp smack.

I have locks, brass bodied, that a 24 inch bolt cutter, not Chinese, will not mark. Know that because my s'inlaw wanted to borrow my outboard and I couldn't find the key. Tried the bolt cutter, it was not impressed. (That's a pun.)

Had to use a diegrinder to cut the shackle. I think you could pound on that lock all day and make a brass blob without breaking it open.

Master brand, laminated locks, are over rated.
Their combinations are a joke. Go to Big Lots, if you have one, and buy a Winner Co., people who sell The Club, brass bodied combo lock, 4 dials for combination, key to set the combination, ONLY with it open, for 4 bucks. Best lock I have ever had. Same as the good locks we had at work, don't know what THEY paid for the same thing.

Cheers,

George

...buy a Winner Co., people who sell The Club,
-------------------------------------------

One way to beat The Club is with a hacksaw. Saw the steering wheel and slip The Club off.

Good Day!

Gil

Back