What's new
What's new

Master Universal Slotter

wood2steel

Cast Iron
Have acquired a Master Slotter fixture and a number of attachments. I have no knowledge of this type device and finding no internet info.
Appears to be quite a sufisticated lathe attachment. Anyone having any background working with this unit?

I bought on last month. I have a YCI Supermax mill and was surprised to find that the dovetail is too small, so just to hang it there I stuck a piece of 3/16 flat stock in the dovetail on one side to fill the gap.
I haven't used it yet but look forward to it, chiefly because I'll be able to do precision shaping using the DRO of my mill.
Another problem we have is that there may not be room to swing the ram around to bring it to play, we may have to swing it to the point where it will hit the Fadal, then run the ram back to get room to go the rest of the way.
A Bridgeport slotting head has 5" max stroke I think, but this has only 4", however, BP heads sell for 4 times what I paid for the Cincy.

Thanks for your reply David. The adging android phone gets blamed for no pics yet. This is actually a lathe toolpost mounted device such as a toolpost grinder. Have only found brief info on one list on ebay for $10,500. Obviously a typo I hope. It definitely cuts key slots on long bar stock and internal key slots on chuck held parts. Not sure what task the other device performs

Thanks for your reply David. The adging android phone gets blamed for no pics yet. This is actually a lathe toolpost mounted device such as a toolpost grinder. Have only found brief info on one list on ebay for $10,500. Obviously a typo I hope. It definitely cuts key slots on long bar stock and internal key slots on chuck held parts. Not sure what task the other device performs

...and we will all continue to be unsure until you finally get to posting some pix.....

Didn't Brian (Versamil) also acquire the Master Tool line?
He posts here sometimes, used to be a regular.

Master LC (Lathe Converter)

They may have had some connection with Versamil back when both products were common. Then split etc.
I have some Master slides that came in an auction box, but nothing interesting. I do have a long travel Versamil.

Check out the versamil attachments and see if any look like your Master Tool accessories:

VersaMil Product Brochure & Price List

But yeah, on here it is rude to ask Q's without pix.

smt

Thanks Stephen; I think you've got me out of deep trouble for the moment! The Versa Mill design is exactly what we're talking about here----- slight different arrangement, but exactly the same capabilities! Got my wings clipped this time; will be on point next post! Ha
Have a slight family medical emergency ongoing to deal with, and then I'll get my phone issue corrected and get us some good photos posted! Time Out!! Thanks

Back