What's new
What's new

matching a arbor taper with a threaded end

Bill D

Diamond
I need to make a tablesaw arbor to match a female taper in my saw. How do I match this taper? If it was not threaded I would blue the taper and check the fit. Being threaded any blue will smear around. My plan is to swing the lathe compound to match my sample.
I suppose I could make a sample piece without the threads first. the depth of seating into the taper does not matter. I do not have any good way to measure the angle. I do not care what the angle is just that my piece matches the angle, what ever that angle may be.
the attached photo shows one similar to what I have to make. The taper may be slightly different, but similar angles, If not the exact same angles.
Bill D.

Attachments

• arbor extension.jpg
    arbor extension.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 141
Dial indicator and a mag base? Measure the change in diameter over a given length and work backwards with arcTan Rise over Run.

I need to make a tablesaw arbor to match a female taper in my saw. How do I match this taper? If it was not threaded I would blue the taper and check the fit. Being threaded any blue will smear around. My plan is to swing the lathe compound to match my sample.
I suppose I could make a sample piece without the threads first. the depth of seating into the taper does not matter. I do not have any good way to measure the angle. I do not care what the angle is just that my piece matches the angle, what ever that angle may be.
the attached photo shows one similar to what I have to make. The taper may be slightly different, but similar angles, If not the exact same angles.
Bill D.

IMHO, UNLESS YOU ARE EQUIPPED WITH THE RIGHT MEASURING EQUIPMENT (AND KNOW HOW TO USE IT? ) it doesn't matter if you're furnished with the angle etc etc, the only true way is to make a matching taper is to make a sample (it may take several goes) to fit a gauge or part supplied and blue it until the angle is spot on with it's mate.

On the pic, the screw thread on the right end pulls the taper in to a female socket, yes? And on the left there is a threaded shaft with collar and nut for a saw blade?
Do you have a sample part?
To get the taper, set up the sample in the lathe and set the compound with a indicator and run it on the taper till it zeros over the length of the taper. That is your angle.

If you are not sure, or do not have a sample, measure the angle as close as you can, turn a test piece without the threads, then blue it to check, and adjust as necessary.

On the pic, the screw thread on the right end pulls the taper in to a female socket, yes? And on the left there is a threaded shaft with collar and nut for a saw blade?
Do you have a sample part?
To get the taper, set up the sample in the lathe and set the compound with a indicator and run it on the taper till it zeros over the length of the taper. That is your angle.

If you are not sure, or do not have a sample, measure the angle as close as you can, turn a test piece without the threads, then blue it to check, and adjust as necessary.

That is how it works. I am in the process of taking the saw apart to replace bearings etc so I should be able to remove the old short arbor and use it for a sample.

That is how it works. I am in the process of taking the saw apart to replace bearings etc so I should be able to remove the old short arbor and use it for a sample.

Interesting project. Left hand threads at both ends with non-standard thread profiles. Plus the taper cutting.
My old Delta Rockwell 14" used to use the same style extended arbor for dado cutting. Make sure you can get the short arbor out before you go to the trouble of sourcing material for a new arbor. I had two saws and nothing could make the old arbor back out on one of them.

Interesting project. Left hand threads at both ends with non-standard thread profiles. Plus the taper cutting.
My old Delta Rockwell 14" used to use the same style extended arbor for dado cutting. Make sure you can get the short arbor out before you go to the trouble of sourcing material for a new arbor. I had two saws and nothing could make the old arbor back out on one of them.

This is a Delta 12/14 tablesaw just like yours. Lucky it came with a one inch arbor not some oddball bigger one installed. It has a big hex socket in the end so I am hopeful of unscrewing it. I printed the manual and read the write up by a fellow who made a complete one piece arbor since his would not unscrew. I think it was made in the 1950's so things are stuck tight and now soaking in penetrating oil.
I have to make the flange wrench before I can get much farther.
Bill D

Kroil is your friend.......just never NEVER heat it up and breath the fumes! Same caution as heating up brake cleaner or other chlorinated hydrocarbons. It will suck the breath out of your lungs.

Back