What's new
What's new

Material choice for C-4 DIN studs

legoboy

Hot Rolled
I need to build a batch of Din studs to mount small small chucks on the lathe. I would buy them but none in stock anywhere. Could one use mild steel for these or does it need to be something stronger like 4140 or the like? The reason I am favoring the mild steel is I have lots of material in that size and its easy to machine. If I was to go 4140 I would have to turn down larger bar stock. The chuck is a 6" and there are four studs holding the backing plate onto the taper. Thanks for any insights in advance.

Attachments

• din studs.jpg
    din studs.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 116
I have no authoritative answer, but if it was me standing in front of that lathe I wouldn't want anything less than 4140 pre-hard holding the chuck on...

Root diameter has an area of about .083 sq. in. If you load this up to 5000 psi, it will hold 417 lbs all by itself.

Most any metal will do - how about some MILD STEEL that likely has a yield strength of at least 25,000 PSI?:)

By contrast, a 4140 HT version with a yield of around 100K, will just about multiply the 417 by a factor of 20

I'll bet you can buy 10 X 1.5 all thread in ASTM A193 B7 - just make the lump detail and Loctite or pin it on

Rather than all-thread, use some M10 grub screws if you can source them long enough, grub screws are generally a far higher grade (14.9 is readily available in grub screws) than all thread. Just cut the heads off.

I'll bet you can buy 10 X 1.5 all thread in ASTM A193 B7 - just make the lump detail and Loctite or pin it on

I don't know about B7, but McMaster carries metric threaded rod in both 10.9 and 12.9 grades. I'd go with the 10.9, as 12.9 has been problematic in cyclic applications.

Thank you for the suggestions, I like the all thread idea. that would certainly make the job easier.
cheers

The 10 X 1.5 is current at McMaster Carr in B7. 1 meter will cost you less than $19 USD.

Not sure how much good that does folks in Canada

Back