What's new
What's new

Material for counterwieht

Larry Dickman

Titanium
I have a little project going at home, long story short I need to put together a counterweight. About 3000 lbs with as small a foot print as possible. At first I thought of stacking up lead ingots, but a quick search shows lead at about $2/lb. I thought about steel plates, but that's still going to be too high. Concrete might be an option. Anything else that's dense and cheap?

The plastic liquid tanks that are on pallets are mostly 275 gallons, some are 300 gal. and are taller, maybe 4'tall. Look up 275 gallon tote, to get more exact sizing. They are stackable.
http://innovativefluids.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Tote-Tank-Specifications.pdf
Looks like these guys also have a 330 gal.
They are cheap or free around here, depending on what was in it.
Maybe filling it with sand and then water to fill the voids would get enough weight in one tote. (or beet juice?)

I knew a guy that needed a lot of weight. He would take a 5 gallon bucket to the tire shops around town to collect wheel weights. It worked alright for the first couple fo trips. Then it started slacking off, the guys just pitched a lot of the weights in the trash.
He started bringing in big bags of candy or cookies, the bucket was growing a lot faster now. Many of the weights were new ones.

Back