Material for counterwieht - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One cubic foot of beach sand converted to pound equals to 95.46 lb ?? Put in 5 Gal pails? Or if you have a lot of room, go to a farmer and load of some field stone. They usually have piles

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I believe the densest material would be gold. Just borrow a few ingots for ballast. Gold is almost 50% denser then lead. One cubic foot would be just over 1,000 pounds.
    Taconite would be only 175 pounds, concrete 145 pounds.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=motion guru;3391832]I had to change the rear tire on my tractor (600 lbs) and parked my dozer in front of the tractor and put the bucket of the tractor under the rear frame of the dozer and lifted with the bucket until the rear wheels of the tractor were off the ground. Blocked it and then changed the tire.

Do you have something heavy enough to park in front of the tractor and do you have a loader strong enough to stand your tractor on its nose?

The fun part was getting the tire into the back of my pickup . . . used an engine hoist and backed my truck under it.[/QUOTE

I just call the local tractor dealer's farm service, they come and fix it, Job done!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine View Post

I just call the local tractor dealer's farm service, they come and fix it, Job done!
    That would be too easy. Except i'd have to close my shop and sit at home waiting for someone who probably won't show up on time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    That would be too easy. Except i'd have to close my shop and sit at home waiting for someone who probably won't show up on time.
    I've had tire service trucks show up, do the fix and leave without ever speaking to anyone, even when the equipment is parked in a remote location.. Call them with clear directions to the flat tire, and leave your credit card number if necessary, job done. If not, call someone else.
    I

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I believe the densest material would be gold. Just borrow a few ingots for ballast. Gold is almost 50% denser then lead. One cubic foot would be just over 1,000 pounds.
    Bill
    Gold is for girly men. If you don't have any exotic material laying around (neutron star core samples, micro black holes, etc), then you want some chunks of Osmium. At about 17% greater mass than gold, you'd need significantly less volume, and the cost is roughly 27% that of gold - a bargain at $400/oz. (Troy).

So 2.12 cubic feet of osmium gives you 3000lbs, for only $14,400,000. If you used that lightweight, gold, you'd need about 2.5 cubic feet, at $52,560,000 at today's gold price.

7. Likes Mtndew liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by M.B. Naegle View Post
    If your counterbalance will be moving, I wouldn't use water. Even if the container is filled to the brim and sealed, water will slosh around.
    Also worth considering what the counterweight is sitting on. If it's a fairly small area compared to the size of the tank it may just rip up through the tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    that's the best part. NO SCE at my house. I'm in a co-op. I can run my A/C everyday in the summer, and I've never had a bill over $130.
    Awesome on the co-op, when I lived inside the city limits of Riverside from 1994-2004 I had a co-op, then I moved just outside the city limits and fell under the wrath of SCE, my electric bill tripled for the same usage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some fellows bid on a shaker for Rock Island Arsenal to test packaging, essentially a stand in for a gorilla or O. J. Simpson. The spec was written by an Egyptian engineer. They missed the part where he specified chemically pure lead for a counterweight. Naturally, ordinary lead would work just as well, and chemically pure, analytical reagent grade lead, cost a zillion times as much and would have bankrupted the bidders. The last I heard, he wouldn't back down. I never did get to hear the outcome.

Bill