What's new
What's new

Who makes a good quality air hose reel?

Edster

Diamond
I'm looking for a good quality made in USA air hose reel. 100 ft of 3/8 line is what I need and I'd like one that supports the reel on both sides.

I bought a cox reel and the guys that packed it screwed it to a board and stuck it in a box with the plastic air bags for cushoning. The bags popped :rolleyes5: and the reel was bent. I returned it and the second one showed up the same way and I refused it. So a good quality reel that isn't a cox reel :)

Thanks in advance :cheers:

Lotsa shops use Reelcraft. Not being snobbish, I bought the big HF hose reel when it went on sale for $49.99 and it actually has proved to be one of the better purchases I've made from them. This is one of those cases where you can easily spend an extra $150 and get nothing of value except the ability to hang onto a bankrupt American dream ..

Lotsa shops use Reelcraft. Not being snobbish, I bought the big HF hose reel when it went on sale for $49.99 and it actually has proved to be one of the better purchases I've made from them. This is one of those cases where you can easily spend an extra $150 and get nothing of value except the ability to hang onto a bankrupt American dream ..

I know the OP stated 'USA' but I also purchased the above mentioned HF hose reel and it has worked flawlessly. The construction is super duty, the mounting bullet proof and the ratchet stops click loud and set positive. The hose is comparable to any Goodyear hose I've seen.:)

Stuart

Bought a used reelcraft in great shape for the price of a HF one. I figured it was a better deal all around and parts are available if it's necessary to repair.

FWIW... my HF air hose reel has worked flawlessly and reliably for the past 15+ years. No problems whatsoever...

I used to have both the HF reel and the pricier US made one, I did not buy either new, just sucked them up from various shops I sold. Anyways, the HF one worked just fine for a number of years of my abuse. for what that is worth.

Not to hi-jack your topic but maybe help....... has anyone got feedback on Gleason (Hubbell) reels? supposedly made in USA and possibly in the same class as Reelcraft and Cox.

I bought a green one. The hose is MEH-- the thing stated off dripping oil from the crappy grease, over my woodwork(it is overhead) and ended up not working at all. I thought a spring was broke, and pulled it apart-the grease had turned into glue. Nothing wrong with the metal part, a cleaning and regrease fixed it fine-but Chinese grease sucks.

I bought a 50' HF reel some years ago and the rewind spring snapped almost immediately. Never bothered replacing it. In the late 1960's when I worked as a car mechanic we had 30 100' reels in the shop overhead that worked 8 hours/day in a punishing environment without failure. Wish I knew who those were made by or were to find a good used one.

I bought a 50' HF reel some years ago and the rewind spring snapped almost immediately. Never bothered replacing it. In the late 1960's when I worked as a car mechanic we had 30 100' reels in the shop overhead that worked 8 hours/day in a punishing environment without failure. Wish I knew who those were made by or were to find a good used one.
He's asking about good quality reels now. I had expensive Reelcraft reels in my shop for years and they were flawless. Some people have used HF reels in home shops with a lot of success. I wouldn't buy them for commercial application unless use was very limited or money very tight. Also stoneaxe..... green one could even have been Speedaire and yes most come from China and aren't cheap...... price wise from Grainger. The Cox and Reelcraft are top of the line but even here you have to make sure you're not comparing apples and oranges when you sort through their different models. Hubbell/Gleason are supposed to be decent, USA, items but I never here or see anything about them. I was hoping someone might chime in that had experience with them.

Maybe I'm the minority, but I prefer the style you have to crank over the auto-retract reels. Less to go wrong, easier to pull out, larger capacity, cheaper, etc.

Back