What's new
What's new

Material to make fly cutter from?

plastikdreams

Diamond
I don't often use a fly cutter but I've always wanted to make one. I have plenty of 17-4 around the shop and can harden to h900, would that be sufficient? Incidentally I also have a ton of titanium bar stock drops up to 3.25" od, how about using that? Also, what's the best angle to set it at?

Ok thanks guys, I was thinking somewhere around 15°.

They are dirt-cheap, store-bought, and in sets, typically. And not that often appropriate if one has a fair set of other cutters. Slow, for their removal-rate, one reason.

Lots of more interesting things one could fab, many with more frequent utility. Your shop, your selection as to what, etc.

Nice finish, right application, if plenty of patience is in stock. Some inserted cutters can do the same, one insert shimmed proud, final-final, then go back to a more all around useful Day Job.

I'm actually using an old 5 insert shell mill with only 1 in it to face some Al u minium...it's doing a decent job lol. Really the only reason I have to make it is because I always wanted to make one lol, I really have no use for one. 98% of my jobs are 17-4, the other 2% is 316ss, aluminum, 420/440ss, titanium, and porous tantalum (aka trabecular metal).

I have one from where I don't recall. It is shop made not store bought. I use an insert lathe tool purchased from Victor Machine out of NY. It's Triangle insert and between the angle of the slot (not sure what degree) and the insert position I can mill right up to a 90 degree corner without hitting the vertical feature. Of course the cutter/holder is not for hogging. Does leave a nice finish.

Does the angle matter?
I've made them from shit steel laying around but would use 4140 for a customer.
Pre-hard for lower buck. Stress relive, rough, harden and finish for those with bigger pocketbooks.
Just about anything works. Never tried Aluminum but think it would also function okay.
Bob

I don't often use a fly cutter but I've always wanted to make one. I have plenty of 17-4 around the shop and can harden to h900, would that be sufficient? Incidentally I also have a ton of titanium bar stock drops up to 3.25" od, how about using that? Also, what's the best angle to set it at?

17-4PH H900 is going to be stronger than 4140HT or 4340HT - I'd make it from that if you have it around the shop already. Yield will be above 200 ksi in the H900 condition vs 160 ksi for 4140 HT (lower if you're buying standard pre-hardened).

Aluminium works alright, .....I've a biggun I made out of a car engine flywheel - believe it or not, the customer wanted ''circular machining marks of a certain radius'' as a finish, ...........and with what that twat was paying he could have em :D

17-4PH H900 is going to be stronger than 4140HT or 4340HT - I'd make it from that if you have it around the shop already. Yield will be above 200 ksi in the H900 condition vs 160 ksi for 4140 HT (lower if you're buying standard pre-hardened).

I have tons, literally, of 17-4 at work. I'm that guy who saves all the scraps and stuff, so I always have some odd bits laying around.

Aluminium works alright, .....I've a biggun I made out of a car engine flywheel - believe it or not, the customer wanted ''circular machining marks of a certain radius'' as a finish, ...........and with what that twat was paying he could have em :D

Bwhahahaha :D Would have loved to hear that conversation when he asked for ??Radius tool marks.

Id ve concerned about the aluminim lacking stiffness and giving a crappy finish.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

It works very well, like most things - it depends on how you use it and what on.

Don't knock it till you've tried it, ............ over 40 years ago I made 2 boring tools for a turret lathe job, a bronze casting, one roughing and one finishing, there were 3 large bores 2 of them stepped - between 2.5'' and 4'' ish to quite tight tols (say +/- 0.003) on dia and depth.

That boring tool was in effect 3 fly cutters, it was made out of Alu because it was only a 100 off job, (we were tight for tool space on the turret) ha ha :) .......over 1000 parts later those same tools were still going strong and delivering the goods, .....and IIRC? running at about 80 ft / minute, @ around 0.007'' / per rev.

Back