What's new
What's new

Material for rock chipper teeth.

jackal

Titanium
I'm working in some parts for a rock splitter.
The teeth have a slot and some grooves for mounting.
The machined part is hard but a file will barely gouge the corner.

The tips that cut are glass hard.
Any suggestions to what material these are?
The dimension are 2" wide and 1" thick by 6" long.
I'll try to get a pic.
I'm hoping it is something that I can oil harden .

Thanks

24e999z.jpg

I could be wrong but it seems fairly obvious from the pictures that the tooth tip is overlayed with a hardface of some sort. Don't have a clue what the body may be made from.

Stuart

They started wearing down and chipped a few years ago and he let a welder hardface them with?????
I only have to make 4 or 5 of these.

I would probably do 4140 or 4340, Q&T to mid-40's, then mask the body and nitride the tips.

Could also induction harden the tips after HT.

In that application, a lot of people are using Hardox® and NiHard®. But 440c would be pretty affordable, not as good but.....

R

I might be way off but i thought most rock cutter/crushers were AR500 or AR400. Of course machining them without a wire edm may be a real challenge.

They started wearing down and chipped a few years ago and he let a welder hardface them with?????
I only have to make 4 or 5 of these.

They have lasted a few years? Give them back to the welder and have them rewelded. There is no material you can use that will give the life of a welded overlay.

The welder was just passing thru with a construction company.
They don't know what he used.
I may try some 4140 with stellite.
4 of the bodies like I have in the pictures are cracked and have to be remade.
One is split thru the middle on the side.

4140 bodies should be good.

Weld overlay material is available in many flavors, from glass hard to very tough. Pick whichever manufacturer your favorite welding supplier carries and either research their line or call the manufacturer directly for recommendations. For a wag, I would expect you want a impact type rod on a crusher but that will depend on the hardness of the rock being crushed. Some of the various carbides in a hard facing rod will be harder than the stellite.

Give the box to the owners when you return the pieces so they will know what was used next time this comes around.

You want the higher grades of hardox if you go that root, but even then its not really what its designed for, its more about resisting brasion than crusher teeth. Would personally not recomend it for that use at all. Your probably better off looking at something like A2 which is what a lot of the large hydraulic excavator impact hammers use as chisels. How hard to heat treat it is were the real magic lays, too soft it wears fast, too hard it chips fast. Only way to find the optimum for a application is to go too far each way to then work out were the middle is.

You would be a lot further ahead to take that and get it x ref gunned to id hard face alloy and part alloy + do a proper HRC test on both to at least give you some real world numbers as to what your parts want to be at post heat treat.

Here's an odd one, loads and loads of bucket teeth, side cutters and such seem to originate in Egypt, mate of mine is a SSAB stockist for "ground engagement parts" teeth etc right up to the biggest Demag face shovel size, the teeth he gave me to analyse to see what he was paying for, the prices are tied to chrome and manganese, I digress, turns out the bulk of them were nothing more than remelted rail steel, high manganese work hardening, the stated chrome percentage on them was as expected bollocks, I don't suppose most people have access to an optical emmision spectrometer and standards, it was scrap railway line.
The hardox range as stated in an earlier post would be ideal, 600 at a guess
(My buckets are the cheaper 300 with a smattering of hard facing, haven't worn through yet)
Mark

You could try Crown Alloy AH-10 (tig) or AH-20 (stick). The weld deposit has the properties of A-2 and cools from weld to RC 60+. I've only used the AH-10, and not for rocks but I've been entirely satisfied with the results. The tig rod lays down very smoothly.

Crown Alloys :: Products

It can be hard to find. I bought my last tig rod from https://www.bakersgas.com/searchresults.html?search_field=crown+ah-10&storeid=*1634f2b9257e00820751bc4e92
Stick: https://www.bakersgas.com/searchres...loy+ah-20&storeid=*1634f2b9257e00820751bc4e92

Back