What's new
What's new

Material selection for 60 ton press

vonleyser

Cast Iron
Customer has a 1941 bliss 60 ton press model 21-1/2 that needs a new
(connection screw)basically this looks like a trailer ball for a hitch, except it is much larger, 4" diameter threads, about 18" long, he wants
one made with 6 " more of thread length.

My question is for the best type of material to use for this set up.
are we looking at 4140, 4340 ?

Don't have any pictures yet, but you can get an idea of by searching.

Will add more as I find out. here is a picture of the parts break down
#20 is what is needing replaced

After seeing this in person there is another question.
Inside the larger piece that captures the ball is something? a wear split ring/bushing
that also looks like it needs to be replaced.
Any idea how this comes apart?

Cary 3.JPG

21BE4B21-72D5-4CEA-8D94-7B7F16AAA4F0.jpg

8D45FC2E-7144-4C2B-A604-8C07760D4223.jpg

Attachments

• 77F2835B-D595-4955-A04B-C4716C0CE453.jpg
    77F2835B-D595-4955-A04B-C4716C0CE453.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Loaded in compression - except when lifting the upper die set/shoe.

4140 Pre Heat Treat to low thirties Rockwell C would likely make a useful long lasting piece

The 60 tons would only stress a minor diameter of 3.5" to about 12,500 PSI, and a bit more at the smaller neck above the "ball"

Some idea of what the material can do in the Mass Effect Data compliments of the EMJ catalog

Its a fairly short column, but he needs to comprehend that making ANY column LONGER reduces its capacity to carry a load

Attachments

• 4142.jpg
    4142.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
It sounds like he wants to shorten the shut height. Have him put parallels under the die set.

If you have the connection( 16)and ( 18 a&b ) and there is room to enlarge the major dia.you do that first then over size a new screw out of 4140.
If that is not possible ,then I would bore the connection and have it brazed along with # 18 a&b and rethread to fit the screw.
If you go with a longer screw and with the loose thread it will bend.
Info on above .pm me.

Last edited:
Why not start by determining the properties of the original? Rockwell or Brinnel hardness swill give an indication of the strength of material needed. Then pick the steel and whether or not it needs heat treatment.

Place I used to work, they just built a new die and put in a big Bliss OBI press... and someone didn't have the shut height set right and when they tripped it, the machine jammed... the impact broke the "Connection" casting out where the "Connection screw" threaded up into it, and bent that. Screw was every bit of 3"., I'd say.

The man who did it built an entire new "Connection" and "Connection cap" assembly, and a new "Connection screw". We didn't have a Holdridge Radius turning attachment for any of our lathes, so he constructed a home-made one of those and turned the ball end of the screw! The crash didn't harm the crankshaft of the press, luckily.

When all was said and done, machine worked fine.

I took the cracked "Connection" casting home and made a base for a bench vise out of it, it was so big!

Update for the curious.

Project/Custom part made finished, press is up and running, wanted to say thanks for the help with my original question.

Would enjoy hearing what you think would be a fair cost for making
this custom part, 4 pitch thread, 4-1/8" diameter ball. had to make a ball turner for this specific part, ball turner needs to be refined for more rigidity. (another project)

Thanks gentlemen again.

As for material I went with 4140 Pre Heat Treat to low thirties Rockwell C as recommended by John Oder, I have worked with him in person & on other projects, one for Matthew and have the utmost respect for the man. So that is the material and why.
Actually have more time in figuring out a ball turner to due this, but as you can see it turned out nicely.

Thanks Mr.Oder I appreciate it.

Ball 2.jpg

Ball 1.jpg

Last edited:
Project/Custom part made finished, press is up and running, wanted to say thanks for the help with my original question.

Would enjoy hearing what you think would be a fair cost for making
this custom part, 4 pitch thread, 4-1/8" diameter ball. had to make a ball turner for this specific part, ball turner needs to be refined for more rigidity. (another project)

Thanks gentlemen again.

Come on! You can't leave us hanging... what material did you end up using and why?

Back