What's new
What's new

material for unavailable machine touchpad cover restoration?

tomjelly

Stainless
I need to replace a cracking and delaminated touch pad cover for a flat seamless plastic electronic control. There are metal, slightly raised "bubbles" underneath that actually are the contacts so this is just cosmetic and to keep dirt out. Ideally this would be some sort of transparent self adhesive relatively flexible but durable material. I can remove whats on there, make legends for each "button" contact, stick the legends under this clear adhesive material in the correct spots, then stick the sheet over the entire control panel face. Is there such a material? Some sort of industrial quality clear contact paper?

Jancollic good idea on the sign place & thanks Steve but this is not an actual capacitive touchscreen but a membrane cover.

I downloaded a PDF of the owners manual, took a screenshot of the operator panel with Sharex ( a fantastic windows screenshot tool) improved the resolution and cleaned up the image with Gimp image editor and saved it in the file format the sign guy needed. He printed it on his vinyl inkjet and laminated it with clear film, then stuck it in place in the correct position. Did another layer of clear film and hit it with a heat gun. Looks and works perfectly, and he only charges $8 per lineal FOOT of printed 54" wide vinyl so I had him print some cool stickers for my son to add up to his $40 minimum. Very pleased with the result

in the operating theaters in hospitals they used to cover the keyboards with clingwrap.
at the end of the operation it would be taken off and replaced with a fresh one.

Back