What's new
What's new

Maynards auction: Am I about to get hosed?

reggie_obe

Diamond
Won a few lots at an auction in Avenel NJ, at an Aluminum die casting plant. Not a hugh auction 400+ lots, large number of which were furnaces, die casting presses, robots, etc. My items ended up being almost all hand carry smalls, a few motors that a hand truck will carry. Paid up on Friday and called the on site rep. to determine what time the following Monday removals would start. Was told, "Did I call you? I'll call you when your lots are moved to the dock. I have over 100 invoices to deal with..." From the mishandling of Q/A department gauging items, I don't want them handling anything. She also said there would be a cost (unspecified) for getting my lots ready. Nothing in the auction terms terms about this. I feel my stuff is being held hostage and removal won't be at a time convenient for me either. Anyone have a similar experience? Any advice.
http://www.maynards.com/media/Industrial Terms 2019 (Joint BIU).pdf

I have gone to auctions to pick up items where the place was huge with tons of stuff, and the auction company is tiny and has 3 employees on site. One in the office dealing with paperwork as people walk in, and 2 poor guys running around frantically loading machines on peoples rigs. A huge line going out the door.

I've never had an issue with Maynards, so this might just be a local person issue.

The original listing should have the removal times. If not, I would call the main office, not the on-site person, and ask when removal is. Since everything is hand carry and you're close. I'd just show up and get the stuff. "well, the main office told me this was the removal time" etc.

Auction terms say as "where is as is". They should not move anything.

Looks like you only have one day to remove small lots
"....removal of small LOTS. In no event shall small LOTS remain at the auction site, or otherwise. All LOTS must
be removed by 4:00 PM on the day following the auction"

Go get your stuff.

I just show up early, act as polite as possible and get my shit out regardless of what they say.

One tactic that works well is to bring some friends with you and let them run loose through the facility to distract whatever asshole the auction has stationed there.

I've had the whole "Wait your turn and it'll be $XXXX to load your stuff" bullshit and I will step outside, walk around the building to the back door, find a forklift and drive my shit right out the front.

I had some big wig hot shot financial guy blow up on me for using their forklift without an operators license once. Forklift rental co was across the street so I went and rented my own and drove it over. Boy he was pissed, but I got my shit.

Equipment auctions are generally the good the bad and the ugly.
Unfortunately I have attended more of the bad and ugly then the good.
I actually attended one auction where the lathes were auctioned off with the study rests and tail stocks as a separate item.
You have got to love buyers premium and the sellers fee, both buyer and seller get zipped.
Most times the machinery is no longer under power so it's anyone guess about the operating condition.
And with most of the auctioneers I have dealt with everything is in great operating condition during the sale.
We purchased a nice 12 foot 200 ton press brake some time back, the auctioneers had there own riggers that we were required to use.
Problem was that there forklift was not anywhere near the capacity to safely move or load that press.
We brought our own Crane to load the press that was well within the crane's rated lift capacity.
They insisted on moving and loading the press, they were charging us a loading fee as well.
Well they dropped it and tipped it on it's front. of course we had already payed for the press and loading fee prior to loading.
Now the machine is damaged and to add insult to injury they asked us to use our crane to right the press.
We demanded our money back as the press had major damage, the auctioneer was not at all happy about it and it took a little work on our part to get them to agree to refund our money.

Back