What's new
What's new

Mazak hercules lathe repairs

Cal-Pac 92

Plastic
I recently aquired a new addition to my tired iron collection. Its a mazak hercules ajax lathe 18x100. It has a 3 1/8 spindle bore, 10hp motor and plenty of bed length for my hydraulic shop work. The hercules line as some may know were late 60’s to early 70’s vintage. Naturally with an industrial piece of equipment this age its seen its share of abuse and neglect by job shops.
I’ve been doing an inventory of my repair list and there are a few things I’m assuming I’m going to have to make. I’ve found no real help from mazak or anyone for that matter with spare parts. The geartrain on the back of the headstock has a bronze splined adapter that is used as an idler between the headstock and the feed gearbox. Someone must have crashed the machine at some point because the adapter was brazed back together after being sheared in half.
I was just inquiring to see if anyone here has had any luck finding parts or if it’s strictly a build in yourself scenario at this point. On a side note I could use a taper attachment and a larger steady rest if someone is scrapping one out at some point.

I have the same lathe. Mine has a 2 inch hole thru it.
I know the bushings you are talking about.
I just made a steel sleeve with 1 keyway.
Then, put a bronze bushing in it.
If I need to stack the gears, the one keyway will keep them in time.

That is a pretty crafty way to make that bushing. I will probably do that for my machine while I wait on some new parts. I found a chinese company that ripped of the mazak design and they still make the lathes and spare parts. I will post up the quality of the parts when I receive them.

I started a Mazak Hercules Ajax Manual Lathe FB group to discuss issues and share information. I’ve posted two different manuals that you can download free to members. Come and join and share this with your other Mazak friends.

Back