What's new
What's new

Mazak lathe headstock / gearbox capicity?

no704

Aluminum
I have acquired a manual that seems to be a similar machine. It suggests that capacity is 1.85 us gallons. After adding this amount I was not getting flow thru the nozzles in the gear head. Added another .5 gallon, getting quite a bit of air but some flow. Added another .25 gallon, getting good flow until it ran for about 30 sec, then some air. Added another .25 gallon, good flow no air. Question is how much to fill it additionally after achieving good flow with no air? Total in now is 2.85 US Gallons.

Thanks.
Neil
Mazak 3.jpgMazak 1.jpgMazak 2.jpg

My MAZAK Ajax Hercules has a level indicating sight tube in the left hand gear cabinet.

The pump is at the bottom of the head casting, so level doesn't really matter.

Your observation could be due to air being purged, or the added "head" of the oil level aiding the pump filling etc.

On a side note, the auto oiler system for the carriage on my machine was plugged. I ran ATF for about a year , Now all the lines are clear.

I've switched to UTTO for all machine tool gearbox lubrication. Unless it is truly something special. (Universal Tractor Transmission Oil)

I started a Mazak Hercules Ajax Manual Lathe FB group to discuss issues and share information. I’ve posted two different manuals that you can download free to members. Come and join and share this with your other Mazak friends.

What size lathe? bigger lathe will use more oil. That said my Harrison m300 takes 25% more then the book says. Simple sight glass so easy to fill to a mark
Bill D

Back