McMaster-Carr... - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is another aspect I have not seen mentioned. Most manufactures offer advertising allowances. The cost of many catalogs is often cover by the manufactures of items in them. I will bet MMC gets the add allowance in the form of a discount. They are certainly big enough to make reasonable demands.

In my opinion, the inability to compare items may be a factor; however, I believe not listing manufacturers gives MCC the ability to change manufacturers if they are not serviced properly of quality falls off. MMC's service is second to none. For a company that size with a zillion sku's to offer the service they do is incredible. Their website is great, quality is always good, and they seem to always have what you need.

Many of the items I buy from MMC are to support my habit. A whole lot of other stuff is used on the farm. I can order something at four in the afternoon and have it the next day. Atlanta is six hundred miles from me. MMC is usually cheaper than Grainger and it is easier for me even with a Grainger store here. Has anyone been on the Grainger website lately? I do not care what American made a drill bit as long as it is a good one.

As you can see, I am a MMC fan, they earned it.

Grits

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Matt is right on, these guys get the business because you can depend on them like the sun rising in the morning. If you are buying parts for a hobby, then sure, shop around. You aren't loosing business if the order gets screwed up or if its late, so give Enco, or Ebay, a shot. You are in business and can't easily suffer mistakes? McMaster-Carr every time.

If you are interested in a particular name brand item, get the makers part number and call there customer service and tell them that this is part number you want. They will cross ref it to there stuff and give you the correct MMC part number, no problem.

Also, consider that, and I know this might be hard to believe, but they stock a lot more stuff than is listed in that MONSTER of a catalog or on the web site, so if you don't see what you want, call that fantastic customer service and ask.

And if they don't have it, 99% chance they CAN get it. They have tracked down some hard to find stuff for me in the past, and sure I paid more for it, but hey, they did the hard work finding the stuff in the first place, thats what I pay them for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The only item I've ordered from MMC that wasn't filled from stock was for some Rockwell hardness tester calibration pucks. I really like doing business with MMC. They are 2 hours away by car, and I get all my orders next day via UPS ground. If you are losing money due to downtime, MMC is the way to go.

I think they avoid brand names whenever possible, because the purchasing agents for MMC don't buy crap products and they know it.

If their past performance is indicative of future performance, they've got a customer for life. I've never had a headache with them. MSC is pretty good from my experience, and I still use them a lot also, but McMaster is #1 on the list for customer satisfaction here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I recently had a problem with McMaster, I placed an order late one day and was told I would get it in 2 days. The order showed up the next day, WTF? They can't even get their shipping right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Next day shipping via UPS ground is pretty much a standard these days, by all the big distributors. You must be located within a "zone" of their warehouse, and have a certain cut-off time to order.
    For me here in Virginia, I can order from MSC up to 1:00 pm, and have my stuff next day at UPS ground rates.
    After all the praise, I will have to break down and use McMaster-Carr some.
    What's going to happen when the owners of MMC demand ever higher profits, and since they do not want any new customers (catalogs only for existing customers), the only way to increase profits is to start buying "cheaper" items to fill the catalog. Convenient, considering most stuff in their catalog has no brand name. It's inevitable...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Perhaps another reason is the nature of the catalog. It changes very little year to year, while suppliers of a given item must change. Unless your operation is of a certain size, you don't get a new catlog every year. Makes me no difference; the last catalog they sent me was #109, I order a couple times a month and never had a problem due to an obsolete catalog. A fine company -- as said above, while they aren't in the penny-saving business neither do they overcharge, and I don't begrudge them a profit for outstanding service.

Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I always seem to get a new catalog every year and I am a one man shop. I love them. I'm in Michigan and have ordered as late as 8:00pm and had the stuff at my place the next afternoon. I know I can rely on that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

McCarr = Quality and Reliability = Premium Price, OK with me.

[ 07-18-2007, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: surplusjohn ]

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I rarely use their catalog (I have a 113), their web site is easily one of the best supplier's site there is. Grainger's sucks. If other suppliers had the quantity, diversity, and reliability of MMC they would get more of my business.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gotta love MMC. They are about 40 min. from me, and if I order early enough I get delivery SAME day.
    Service has been outstanding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm surprised not to see many people mention it, but in my opinion, MMC's website and ordering process is the easiest of the big names that I order from. Some, I have to call, because I can't get to my open account online, despite assurances from their customer service.

That ease is what keeps me using them regularly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had a sudden need for wheel nut 12pt 1/2" sockets on my van last yr, checked 4-5 local
    auto stores, only 6pt in that size. MMC and
    MSC both had the needed sockets with MSC listing
    Armstrong as the high $ socket at $17, others being $2 decrement per lesser supplier. MMC
    price was ~$15 and turned out to be Armstrong
    for two and someone else for the third. My
    limited experience with MMC is that prices are
    within 10% of other sources for what I look for
    and not infrequently are lower, though sometimes
    higher.

Guest Guest

I know MMC is not cheap, but time is money right?
    They are great for one stop shopping and even though
    they have it seems like a 100,000 items in their
    catalog, I have not once called and heard "out of
    stock" on an item. I have never had them make a mistake on an order, they are 45 miles away and my
    order is always ready for pick-up when they say it
    will be, that's good enough for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some items are listed by brand such as Wilton but usually you don't know the brand until it's delivered to you.

I know MMC is not cheap, but time is money right?
    I get same day delivery from McMaster-Carr if I order by 10:00 am.