Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Idk what their cut off time is but I’ve ordered stuff at 7am and received by a speedy delivery van by noon with regular shipping. They are the best, grainger has the worst website there is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe it's because I live off the beaten interstate path but the fastest I ever got anything from McMaster was 2 weeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rustytool View Post
    Maybe it's because I live off the beaten interstate path but the fastest I ever got anything from McMaster was 2 weeks.
    My wife and I drove through your town two weeks ago on our way to Coeur D'Alene for a vacation. I love McMaster, but I'd consider that an almost worthy trade off for that part of the country. But yes, it is off the beaten path a little bit.

4. Likes rustytool liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    West Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I got a quick one. I used to work for a big pharma company. Some crap company sold the idiots on the idea that they could go to all the suppliers and strongarm them into better pricing. Grainger fell in, Fastenall fell in, most others fell in. McMaster not so- one price for all. I love them!

Also, I worked for same company for 25 years almost. God only knows how much I bought from McMaster in that time in $ but a lot. I am pretty sure in all those years I could count on one hand the number of times they did not have the item in stock.

Best vendor in the country I think!

6. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    The only gripe I have about McMaster is they don't sell everything I need. I have never seen nor heard a McMaster advertisement, do they ever advertise?
    Do they need to?

Tom

8. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I used to read their catalog at night before/while falling asleep when I was little. So many neat things I never knew existed before seeing them in the McMaster catalog.

Anyone remember when they tried a "catalog" on a CD? It was terrible, I called and asked for a good old paper catalog which they reluctantly, or eventually sent.
    Their website these days is fantastic, but the paper catalog is still how you find the odd stuff you didn't know about as you flip through to what you do want.

10. Likes crazygoat, motion guru liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use MSC regularly for HSS Drills/ Taps/ Reamers.

I find that MSC, Grainger, and McMaster are all way overpriced. The only thing they have that is great is the convenience of having exactly what I need when I need it. Can get anything by 3pm next day as long as I order it by 3pm.

I will always pay more for something I "need."

I do like all 3 of these companies a lot.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That doesn’t seem right. I was two days to Pullman and three days to Potlatch from McMaster using their standard shipping.

13. Likes J Gilles liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DanASM View Post
    I find that MSC, Grainger, and McMaster are all way overpriced. The only thing they have that is great is the convenience of having exactly what I need when I need it. Can get anything by 3pm next day as long as I order it by 3pm.

Ever notice how much a jar of Coffey cost in a 7-11 compared to a grocery? You pay for that convenience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DanASM View Post
    I use MSC regularly for HSS Drills/ Taps/ Reamers.

I will always pay more for something I "need."

I do like all 3 of these companies a lot.
    I probably can count on one hand the times I bought from Grainger since going into business almost 25 years ago. They are pretty much the last resort. This summer I bought a capacitor for an AC unit I couldn't find at the first couple places I tried. Trane parts distributors in my state had them but the S.O.B.s only sold to people with contractors licenses. General shop supplies mostly come from McMaster, tooling from McMaster, Carbide Depot and the occasional E-bay purchase. I probably buy from MSC and Fastenal a couple times a year combined. MSC is usually only used for Guhring drills. Fastenal sells mostly junk tooling in their store, but are the only place other than hated Grainger within driving distance if I need it today.

Since McMaster ships next day for less than others charge for 2-5 day ground service, plus the fact where I am at a trip to Home Depot and the like kills 2 hours+ I buy a lot of stuff from McMaster most people don't and I don't even price compare.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can't believe were this far into the conversation and no one has mentioned the McMaster App for your phone.

Direct to McMaster-Carr without any of the internet's other distractions. Easy to use, great search function, saves your 'cart' indefinitely so I don't have to remember the things "I should get next time I order".

I have an old paper catalog which remains invaluable for finding out if things exist or what their names are.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by fciron View Post
    I can't believe were this far into the conversation and no one has mentioned the McMaster App for your phone.

Direct to McMaster-Carr without any of the internet's other distractions. Easy to use, great search function, saves your 'cart' indefinitely so I don't have to remember the things "I should get next time I order".

I have an old paper catalog which remains invaluable for finding out if things exist or what their names are.
    I have a 12 year old flip phone, that is why I didn't mention it. I also hate small screens. I like my 32" monitor in my office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I need a threading die in a hurry and
    ordered it to be delivered on Saturday
    for a rush job. UPS screwed up and didn't
    deliver it. I called McMaster to find out
    where it was. They figured out that it
    wasn't delivered and had a courier
    DRIVE ONE UP FROM NJ TO MASSACHUSETTS
    so I would have it on Saturday. I couldn't
    believe that they'd go to that length,
    especially seeing it was UPS' fault.
    This was way above and beyond. I always
    liked McMaster but after this they
    moved to a different level.

There have been other minor issues
    with orders and they always do right
    and correct things immediately.

19. Likes Bobw, metal-ica, ranchak, n2zon liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by G00 Proto View Post
    That doesn’t seem right. I was two days to Pullman and three days to Potlatch from McMaster using their standard shipping.
    I only ordered through the M.E. program at U of I, but I remember it being 2-3 days as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Best service hands down...
    Been a customer of McM since the business opened (40+ years)
    We get their catalogue...maybe its a grandfather thing.....Its the most used resource in the shop.
    Our most local warehouse is LA...And orders placed by 6:00 pm always arrive before noon next day.
    At times the item is not stocked in LA but rather Chicago.....
    Not sure how they do this, but again orders placed by 6:00 pm(west coast time) that come via Chicago almost always arrive next day before 2:00pm.....

Members of their staff have also visited the shop to make the personal connection....Can't give them higher marks....
    Cheers Ross

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by J Gilles View Post
    I only ordered through the M.E. program at U of I, but I remember it being 2-3 days as well.
    When I first went out on my own and put in my first McM order... It came GROUND!!???

WTF? where I worked it was there by 10am the next day no matter what...

Then, put in a $4k order with them (it was for some lovejoy u-joints and boots and they
    were the cheapest).. And then all of a sudden everything started showing up overnight
    for dirt cheap.. Been showing up overnight ever since... A while back, a box of goodies
    and a 5 gallon bucket of oil shipped overnight for $35... If I went down to FedEx and tried
    to ship that it would have been $200.

There must be a threshold you have to meet and then you get pushed into the "overnight"
    category.

23. Likes Booze Daily liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Grigg View Post
    I used to read their catalog at night before/while falling asleep when I was little. So many neat things I never knew existed before seeing them in the McMaster catalog.

Anyone remember when they tried a "catalog" on a CD? It was terrible, I called and asked for a good old paper catalog which they reluctantly, or eventually sent.
    Their website these days is fantastic, but the paper catalog is still how you find the odd stuff you didn't know about as you flip through to what you do want.
    I still do that. I've found all sorts of neat widgets to put a nice, finishing touch on stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We get our mcmaster stuff delivered by a private delivery service. We used to have this hot looking women that did the delivery. I mean she was smoking. One day we got a package in the morning delivered by her then in the afternoon we got another delivered by this smoking hot younger girl. I told her we got another package this morning delivered by a women. She cheerfully says, ya thats my mom. We were trying to order evertthing from mcmaster after that. Lol

26. Likes Bobw, Booze Daily liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now that I think about, I had a slow delivery from them when I started a new company down there. I had to call them up and tell them that it was a business address, not a residential. Then my parts started showing up on time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can't think of anyone that does it as good as McMaster, and will call is only ten minutes away....
    Still, I haven't been able to get on the catalog list, in the old shop guys would fight over who got last year's.