Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobw View Post
    There must be a threshold you have to meet and then you get pushed into the "overnight"
    category.
    I think that's how they do it too. Currently we order a ton of stuff through them and it shows up at 9:30 AM if we get the order in by about 4:00 the day before.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

McMaster should start making merch and selling it. I would buy their shirt in a heatbeat!!

3. Likes Bobw, ranchak, TeachMePlease liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember the day I got my McMaster account! What a day! I live in Canada and previously they had told me that they wouldn't give me an account because I didn't have a commercial address (they will only ship to businesses in Canada). So not long after I got my first commercial unit I went through the verification process with McMaster and then finally I was able to order things from their wonderful catalog that I had previously only been able to use as a reference... Ordering weird things like tie rod ends is so annoying when going anywhere else!

On the customer service side: once I ordered a dozen feet of some high end continuous flex cable for a project, along with a bunch of water-tight bulkhead grommets... Somehow I ordered the wrong grommets (about $30 worth if I remember right) when I called them to try to organize a return they said "don't worry about it" and simply shipped me replacement ones at no charge... That certainly impressed me!

On shipping: even here in Canada I get next day delivery by midday if I order by 6pm. I have a friend who lives in the middle of nowhere on Prince Edward Island and he still gets next day deliveries from McMaster. That is totally amazing as far as I'm concerned!

I have said this in the past when discussing other places in Canada to potentially move to: anywhere as long as McMaster delivers there

5. Likes cnctoolcat, Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sneebot View Post
    I need a threading die in a hurry and
    ordered it to be delivered on Saturday
    for a rush job. UPS screwed up and didn't
    deliver it. I called McMaster to find out
    where it was. They figured out that it
    wasn't delivered and had a courier
    DRIVE ONE UP FROM NJ TO MASSACHUSETTS
    so I would have it on Saturday. I couldn't
    believe that they'd go to that length,
    especially seeing it was UPS' fault.
    This was way above and beyond. I always
    liked McMaster but after this they
    moved to a different level.

There have been other minor issues
    with orders and they always do right
    and correct things immediately.
    W.O.W. (Plus more characters to make 10. Jeesh...)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No one has mentioned the CAD files for nearly everything they sell . . . Drops into SolidWorks within seconds with purchasing data embedded for the BOM and easy transfer to purchasing.

8. Likes Graham Gott liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

48 years so far buying from McMaster Carr. I was leaving the house at 6:30 the other morning and saw the guy in the minivan delivering my order from yesterday afternoon! I live 5 miles from their New Jersey location. I did some complaining about their app and I made an accidental connection with a guy that used to work there on the internet side of things. He gave me names and I actually got an invite to tour their facility and meet with people who questioned me about all kinds of things. It was great, and I am even more impressed now that I have seen it from the inside. What other 120 year company made such a fabulous transition to the internet. Our automated ordering system sends them a PO with over 250 items and they respond with an acknowledgment and shipping details in less than a hour!

About 15 years ago my brothers father-in-law had a connection with a trucking company that had a contract with McMaster to haul away ALL the returns! He was getting two to three 53' trailer loads a week. Sounds like a lot, but at the time they were shipping 21 trailer loads a DAY of merchandise, so only about 2%. You can not believe what came through his place. One year I gave everyone I knew Mitutoyo digital calipers for Christmas after I got the 3 sizes I wanted for $25 each. All still in sealed envelopes in the box. End mills? I still have drawers full that he gave me. I would stop there every morning on my way to work. It was like Christmas every day. I equipped my bosses shop for so little money that when he was forced out of business by a frivolis lawsuit he told me he made $5000 over what he paid for everything.

But I just wrote my contact this evening before seeing this thread about how bad the app is, and how it getting worse over the past two years. The search engine now asks 20 questions and even then fails to find things I have been ordering for years from the catalog or the website. I often work in the field and the app is a fabulous idea but just isn't working. I go to the website and find it in seconds. If they keep this up they'll be worse than Grainger!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm 300 miles away from them, yet they will get an order to me the next day, unbelievable.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Deal View Post
    I got a quick one. I used to work for a big pharma company. Some crap company sold the idiots on the idea that they could go to all the suppliers and strongarm them into better pricing. Grainger fell in, Fastenall fell in, most others fell in. McMaster not so- one price for all. I love them!

Also, I worked for same company for 25 years almost. God only knows how much I bought from McMaster in that time in $ but a lot. I am pretty sure in all those years I could count on one hand the number of times they did not have the item in stock.

Best vendor in the country I think!
    A local company to the the Santa Fe Springs wharehouse did the same thing.

The young hotshot manager called up McM and said
    "we're a billion dollar comapny, we order a lot, we expect a discount on what we order from you"

McM
    "sorry no discounts."

Billion dollar comapny said
    "but we insist"

McM
    "As of this moment your account is closed and you will no longer do business with McM"

For about a year these idiots had to order their McM stuff thru one of their vendors (a customer of mine) After about a year they were able to order from McM again.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've asked for qty discounts before. Sometimes they will, other times not.