Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Measuring Chain Sprockets to Find matching Chain Size

I have one of the old cast iron differential style chain hoists made by "D. Round & Sons Makers - Cleveland O. U.S.A." that had belonged to my grandfather. It's old but doesn't appear to be very worn so I'd like to put it back to light duty work (sentiment and all). At some point someone cut the chain off of it and I don't have a sample of what it had.
    20200730_173744.jpg
    20200730_173804.jpg
    The differential sprockets have cast grooves and ledges on them for the chain to lock into, but they are not mirror representations of the chain. The dimensions I measured ended up being a non-existent size of chain, so I went for something we had on the rack and it seemed to fit ok and worked with no load.... until it got under a slight load the chain would slip in the sprockets, so obviously it's not the right size chain.

Before I start buying random chains, is there any way to measure a link chain sprocket to determine what size it takes?

My research turns up lots of stuff for roller chain, but nothing on link chain. I did find that the company is still in business making industrial lifts and hoists, so I shot them an email, but I imagine this is small potatoes for them.
    Custom Engineered Lifting and Material Handling Products

I did find a picture of another of the same hoist, so worst case I can take the calipers to the computer screen and do some math.....
    d7af59e3ff852f03811a2148ba08f595.jpg

2. Likes 4GSR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

McMaster Carr catalog (#111) has a page Welded Chain - for lifting that lists dimensions of links. Covers Grade 120, 100, 80 and 60

Not that there is likely to be a perfect match for something OLD
    Last edited by johnoder; 07-31-2020 at 09:07 AM.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Search under anchor chain, windlass, gypsy. There's some pretty old stuff out there for boats, even before 1900. Herreshoff did all his own castings, the drawings are in a museum back east, lots of adoring acolytes.

These days, the size of the chain is determined by the diameter of the wire it's made from, and there's several standard varieties, but I don't know about really old stuff. Mine was 1937, pretty new

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by johnoder View Post
    McMaster Carr catalog (#111) has a page Welded Chain - for lifting that lists dimensions of links. Covers Grade 120, 100, 80 and 60

Not that here is likely to be a perfect match for something OLD
    McMaster will likely be where I order it from. The blank I need to fill is what chain fits the sprocket so that it doesn't slip and locks into the grooves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I found out that current chain hoists use non standard chain, and each maker seems to have a proprietary spec. Here's an example - Hoist Load Chain | Replacement Chain for Hoists
    Those hoists used to be plentiful, and they are cheap when I see them, maybe you could watch your local craigslist or facebook marketplace and find a complete unit to take the chain from cheaper than new chain?

7. Likes M.B. Naegle liked this post