What's new
What's new

Measuring device that I have used in the past on boring bar work, measures the bore

Ifitsmetal

Plastic
with out removing the bar. This is the only one that I have ever seen. Made in Germany I believe. Anybody know the correct term/name of this device?IMG_0518.jpgTHANKS !

Looks like a bore gauge with some kind of outer depth stop?

Edit: oh I see it now: It works perpendicular to the bore and the "depth stop" is the other side of the indicator. Looks to be adjustable for bigger pieces>

Dunno it's just a Bore Gauge in that regard, just a different approach to it.

No need to spend a fortune for a special tool. I used a spring caliper with a test indicator mounted to a modified leg as an "over the bar" bore gage for ages. Works great and only costs a little time if you already have a suitable test indicator and a spring caliper of the correct variety.

You set your wanted size to zero on the indicator on the device with an outside mike. Then as you slide it into the bored hole, you read the dial as either plus or minus in the 10ths.. If you are over, plus, you missed it. Sorry. Under zero, dial the cutting bit out to half of the reading and take the cut to size. Interesting tool.

No need to spend a fortune for a special tool. I used a spring caliper with a test indicator mounted to a modified leg as an "over the bar" bore gage for ages. Works great and only costs a little time if you already have a suitable test indicator and a spring caliper of the correct variety.
show some pictures, inquiring minds want to know.

Looks like a bore gauge with some kind of outer depth stop?

Edit: oh I see it now: It works perpendicular to the bore and the "depth stop" is the other side of the indicator. Looks to be adjustable for bigger pieces>

Dunno it's just a Bore Gauge in that regard, just a different approach to it.
Good eyes !!

Back