What's new
What's new

Mechanical Engineer

allenschultz

Plastic
All,

I'm trying to design the thread interface for a part that calls out a 8-64 UNF-2A thread. I can not find an 8-64 thread anywhere. Is this thread really 8-36? Is it a nomenclature issue?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Hi Allenschultz, welcome to the forum. Your thread title is a bit misleading which could well cause it to be locked. You would have been better with a title such as - " 8-64 UNF-2A Thread Details Required ".

Regards Tyrone.

First, 8-64 is not the UNF pitch. If 64 is correct, then it would be UNS (S for special). As you probably know, 8-36 is the UNF pitch.

You will have to examine the context and source of your information to try to tell what was intended. Or take a guess. I am a mechanical engineer and I advise against guessing.

For what it is worth, you can buy an 8-64 tap. #8-64 Special Pitch Plug Tap, High Speed Steel

Larry

Yes, the best way to resolve this is from the source. An 8-64 thread is unusual enough to require this type of inquiry.

If you can't do that, then you make the part per the drawing and insist that it be paid for on that basis. It should be their problem, not yours.

Go back to the source of the requirement for clarification. My crystal ball is a bit foggy when I try to interpret odd ball requirements.

Tom

First, 8-64 is not the UNF pitch. If 64 is correct, then it would be UNS (S for special). As you probably know, 8-36 is the UNF pitch.

You will have to examine the context and source of your information to try to tell what was intended. Or take a guess. I am a mechanical engineer and I advise against guessing.

For what it is worth, you can buy an 8-64 tap. #8-64 Special Pitch Plug Tap, High Speed Steel

Larry
Heck no, engineers don't guess!

We call them assumptions. :)

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Well the EEs have "undocumented program features"

The rest of us call them bugs.

I have found that the hardest part of designing a new machine and getting it into service is not the technology but keeping the customer's head straight. They can understand design and fabrication time, but it is impossible to make them understand that it will take that much again to get it all working perfectly, if we ever do. Their view is that if we designed it right, it would be ready for production with a few adjustments. If it doesn't work first crack off the bat, it is due to bad engineering. The fact is that if it is designed right, it won't take as long to debug.

Bill

Back