What's new
What's new

Medical Loupes

AHS

Aluminum
Anybody use medical type loupes (instead of a magnifying visor) for working on small items? If so, what power do you have and are you satisfied with the field of view, enlargement, and lens quality? I currently use 2x reading glasses along with a (cheap) magnifying visor. I'm not looking at medical loupes because they are very expensive, but something less expensive.

If you can afford it and your setup allows, go with a stereo microscope. So much nicer than visors or loup rigs.

$1200 ish
Olympus SZ51
sz61.jpg

sz2-stu3_clamp_mount_assembly_line_arm.jpg

there are lots of surplus lenses out there . i don't wear glasses or contacts, but when i need to see up close i use a 2" or 3" slide projector
lens ( $10 -$15 from ebay) . if you mount one on a mag base it is useful for detailed work like grinding tiny engraving tools and such.

i suppose with a little ingenuity , a pair could be mounted to safety glasses in stereo ,provided there be adjustment for focal length.

Kodak Ektanar C 127mm F 2 8 Slide Projector Lens | eBay

I recently bought a binocular dental loupe on Ebay from a company called 'comewithstyle'; they were one of the few domestic suppliers.
The item I purchased was 3.5X - 550mm focal length
I found the focal length excessive and returned it for a 3.5X - 340mm Paid $150

I am still on the learning curve with them. Set up adjustment is a little tricky and must be done accurately. They take some getting use to.

So far, I can't justify the cost; that could change as I get more familar with them.

Pete

I have a B&L stereo zoom microscope on a boom above my Levin lathe It does a magnificent job of letting me see what I am doing when turning tiny stuff. It is far better than any of the many other magnifiers I own.

I have bought several of the surgical loupes. These are binocular loupes with good working distance and adjustable for pupil distance and focal point. The Zeiss was very expensive, but had no safety lenses. I felt naked using them to do lathe work and sold them.

I have some Chinese and Indian versions bought on eBay and like the ones attached to non-corrective safety glasses. I am not afraid to use them while running power tools. The Indian version was less expensive than the Chinese and it shows, but they do work OK. Still, I seldom use them.

I like the large magnifying lens surrounded by LED's on a jointed arm I bought on eBay. I often use it with my micromotor and Foredom flex shaft tools.

Larry

I asked my dentist about the nice magnifying glasses he wears, with an attached light source. Umm, $3,000.

He told me several patients with interests in model making or fly-tying have asked about them. None have bought.

Now I know why a checkup/cleaning costs $110.

You have made a good point about the certain matter and now others too can realize about the face cleaning/checkup expenses.

Matt, yes the real medical loupes are pricey, like in the $1,000 range for my dental hygienist. The ones my dentist uses are quite a bit more I believe. As tlfamm said, there are much less expensive ones. They do the same magnification, just don't have the same lens quality.

John, the microscope is way too much magnification for me. Here is an interesting article and the one that got me thinking about better magnification. I don't work on watches or things as small as the author.

Tid-Bit 14 - To See or Not To See - Vienna Regulators - SNClocks - by Stephen Nelson

Pete, you have about what I've been looking at. I agree on the focal length, 550 is about 21", and I figure I would like something around 400-440. I assume you used something else before jumping up to the loupes, visor maybe? How does the magnification compare to your previous approach?

Larry, I bought a magnifying lens w/arm and a circular florescent light from MSC. It is handy, but the arm does not like to remain in position. I tend to take off 1 spring at a joint to keep it better positioned, but it still fights me.

MichaelP, that is a good unit, I've looked through them. I have the cheap plastic lens version and it's workable. I use it over reading glasses. The big problem with visors is the focal length decreases as the diopter goes up. The diopter value is not the magnification level, it's lower. A 3 or 4 diopter visor has a focal length in the 10-12" range (and is around a 2x magnification), which gets kind of close for machines. The Loupes come in several magnifications and several focal lengths from ~13" out to ~21".

Those microscopes (the real ones like larry and john mentioned) come in all magnifications.

If for example you put a 1/2 power objective lense on them (drops the overall magnification
by a factor of two and doubles the working distance) and use some 10X eyepieces, the
overall mangification is pretty low.

The real issue with those (aside from $) is most folks can't form an image with a stereo
microscope and further don't know the correct way to adjust the system to avoid the
eyestrain issues if you don't.

This is actually one reason they pay me at work. I can work at a setup like that all day long
with no trouble.

I recently bought a binocular dental loupe on Ebay from a company called 'comewithstyle'; they were one of the few domestic suppliers.
The item I purchased was 3.5X - 550mm focal length
I found the focal length excessive and returned it for a 3.5X - 340mm Paid $150

I am still on the learning curve with them. Set up adjustment is a little tricky and must be done accurately. They take some getting use to.

So far, I can't justify the cost; that could change as I get more familar with them.

Pete

How's the depth-of-field on those things?

I have a set bought off ebay from an outfit in Ohio.
Not bad for the money.
Mine are 2.5x with a 17" focal length (I also have an adapter lens that increases the focal length to 20")
Mine started out as a clip-on for my bi-focal glasses, but I have found that a bit flimsy, so I recently got a set of "special" frames from them to mount them on and I will have prescription lenses made for those.
I have found them very useful doing small work on my 17" lathe where I don't want my nose too close to the spinning chuck.
One has to be kind of careful moving around or reaching for stuff until your brain gets trained to know how close/far things are.

They have made a big difference for me.

Pete

My hygienist said they were recommended by Instructors in her hygienist program. Specifically because her working distance was now one that allowed her to keep her back straight. Apparently back and neck issues are common in the dental field because they tend to hunch over a bit. She says that she wears them for the majority of the day with no problem. I believe the expensive medical ones (like hers) may be a little lighter. Hers flip up so she can move them out of the way without removing them. The only negative she mentioned was the price. :)

I just use 4X drugstore glasses,and also have 4X prescription glasses,too. I ordered a pair of the Galileo type telescope glasses. They focused at about 14". I felt like my hands and eyes were not connected.

Back