What's new
What's new

Memorial Section

Limy Sami

Diamond
In a recent ''Where's Don?'' post in general, it was suggested by Milland that a separate Memorial Section be started, I posted liked the idea and have had several likes for my post.

So may I formally propose such a move, ……….. and have considered something along these line;-

A simple list with each name containing just a simple statement of the members passing with known dates, along with links to threads and posts concerning obituaries etc etc.

That way anyone can have a quick check, ………………. and read more if they want, ...............….while maintaining both equality and dignity for all - even in death!

What say you?

Thank you for your time in reading this post

Limy Sami

In a recent ''Where's Don?'' post in general, it was suggested by Milland that a separate Memorial Section be started, I posted liked the idea and have had several likes for my post.

So may I formally propose such a move, ……….. and have considered something along these line;-

A simple list with each name containing just a simple statement of the members passing with known dates, along with links to threads and posts concerning obituaries etc etc.

That way anyone can have a quick check, ………………. and read more if they want, ...............….while maintaining both equality and dignity for all - even in death!

What say you?

Limy Sami

Sami,
Couldn't have said it better myself. You've covered all the avenues a person would need.

You mean like a sub-forum with a Moderator-maintained (locked?) sticky thread for the simple list, and a place to put threads for more involved discussion about the members? I'd be for it.

What say you?

Limy Sami

I think its a great idea, cant really add anything to what youve said mate.

Maybe you could write your own obit, with photos, and send it in ahead of time to be edited as needed and confirmed before it is too late for you to correct any typo's.
Bill D

BTW Sam - You're not planning on going anytime soon are you?
:D

I hear his son is helping him along! I'd watch that one, Sami...

Let's hear from the Americans - I know we don't like talking about such things, but this isn't meant to be a doom-and-gloom subject, rather a respectful way to note the passing of those that have helped shape the forum, passed on knowledge, and generally made this a great place to hang out.

Let's hear from the Americans - I know we don't like talking about such things, but this isn't meant to be a doom-and-gloom subject, rather a respectful way to note the passing of those that have helped shape the forum, passed on knowledge, and generally made this a great place to hang out.

Yes please! ……….my intention was to honour and celebrate the lives of those who've contributed, rather than mournful doom and gloom.

It would certainly simplify life for me since my heart attack earlier this year. I could follow the lead of Benjamin Franklin who said "I wake up every morning at nine and grab for the morning paper. Then I look at the obituary page. If my name is not on it, I get up."

I'm with Sami in wanting it to be a celebration of people's lives, not a place of grief and mourning.

George

Sure, I think it's a great idea. We should be careful about allowing self-written obits, though, in case someone decides to make themselves an instant legend, without any effective criticism that can be employed in time!

Hopefully there is a page to be searched, not just a lot of entries you would have to read the all to find if someone is gone.

And, what about Mr. Slammy ?

A couple thoughts, which y'all can take or leave as needed.

1. Posts should be restricted to announcements, so any 'late breaking news' will pop up when you click New Posts.

Comments, tributes, "he'll be missed", etc. should probably be elsewhere, and perhaps linked from the Memorial post. That way a flurry of tributes don't look like the entire Monarch cohort expired en masse.

2. In a Memorial posting, links could also be included to the threads often started by next of kin/spouses of members that have passed away. I don't think we need to be telling them to 'move the thread to Memorial' or anything like that. Just let them post wherever, and link to it from the Memorial section. They've got enough to worry about...

And just a reminder, move your photos from Photobucket to PM while you can. I know it's extra work, but this resource is so much better with the photos in-line.

Signed,
Abe Vigoda

We should have a list of people who have died, then another list for those who have passed and/or became deceased. And another list for those who just flat up and died. Finally, a list for all the rest who croaked, are pushing up daisies, sleeping in dirt motels, and gone for a Burton.

Back