What's new
What's new

In Memoriam - Barry Weeks

motion guru

Diamond
I got word this week that Barry Weeks from Lake Elmo, Minnesota died on Tuesday from complications related to COVID-19.

I have known Barry for about 22 years and met him through a common hobby of working on and restoring old GM trucks. We have swapped truck parts, business advice, business services, and a few stories over the last two decades. He was 2 months older than me and we were like brothers from a different mother. I was stunned to learn he had died.

Barry coached me on the first batch of machine tools I bought back in 2003, what machines to avoid, which ones were a good deal, etc. I think I had 5 employees when I first started talking with him about how to run a company. I had never done it before and he had a lot of good experience on how to do it well and how to screw it up. His advice has been solid through a growth to 60 employees and then shrinkage back to 45 over the last 2 years.

Barry was humble, funny, gracious, and we shared the childhood experience of having parents that always told us that we had shit for brains or were as worthless at tits on a boar hog. Despite our shared lack of any kind of ability in the eyes of our folks, we both started small businesses and figured out how to navigate our way forward in the world.

I hadn't talked to Barry in months and regret not staying in closer touch with him through the pandemic. We all have busy lives - make sure you spend your time on things that matter.

Goodbye Barry . . . wish I could have said it in person.

Me and Barry in front of his shop with my old GMC a few years back during better times.

74de5a2f-c741-4ecf-a164-70300c3df10e-jpeg.5254468

Hi Motion,

Good to hear from you, sad it's under such circumstances. Losing a close family member (by birth or chosen) sucks, I at least hope that there was sufficient pain palliative care to make his passing as comfortable as possible.

Well that explains my unanswered text... Barry's shop was just down the road from where I worked when I first met him and he did a few odd jobs for me over the years. He was such a kind person. He was one of those guys where if you went to his shop you better keep an extra hour in your day because you didn't run out of there real quick.

RIP Barry.

RIP Barry. When I first started my shop, there were some larger companies trying to hassle me. Barry sent me a couple of Pms that help me sort things out.
😢😢🙏🙏🙏

Just moving this thread to General where it is likely to get more eyes on it.

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Thanks for moving the post, Ox, or i might never have seen it.

I've' been thinking about him that last few days, but did not occur to me anything could be wrong.
Mostly, he comes to mind whenever i'm using some of the tooling he sold me at advantageous prices when i posted "WTB" notices.
Always high grade, perfectly packed, with a personal note. I didn't "know" him the way some of you do, but he certainly made a quiet, positive impression on me.

Hope the family is doing ok.

smt

Back