What's new
What's new

Mendell Magnetizer. Anybody used one?

MichaelP

Titanium
Guys,

Have any of you seen/used this magnetizer? Do you happen to have instructions or can provide some feedback and tips?

Thank you.

Mike

Attachments

• Mendell Magnetizer.jpg
    Mendell Magnetizer.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 125
I can't see the top of it from your picture but I assume the two ends are coils. It looks like it has a push button on it as well. You would hold whatever you want magnetized between the poles or inside of the coil and hit the button. If you hold the button down and draw your tool out slowly it will demagnetize it. I find this the handiest feature of these because having a tool that is magnetized can be a real pain when you don't want it to be.

Mike, Sir,

These magnetizers were used to charge the magnets of magnetos. The magnets have to be charged in situ in the unit, often being tapped or rapped with a brass or copper hammer.

That's all I have to say about that.

Bob....not the cat.

Mike, Sir,

These magnetizers were used to charge the magnets of magnetos. The magnets have to be charged in situ in the unit, often being tapped or rapped with a brass or copper hammer.

That's all I have to say about that.

Bob....not the cat.

You can charge magneto magnets off of it. My magnetizer has several large capacitors with an ignitron making a low resistance connection to a few turns of heavy wire. Magnetizing in place would risk putting a pulse into the coil that would cause a breakdown. On the horseshoe magnets in old magnetos I zap it and then put steel bars on the outside of each leg and one across them to make a complete magnetic path, then slide the magnet into place.

I can't really measure the peak current in the magnetizer but the attempt I made came out bout 125,000 amps. Anything that gets in front of it gets magnetized, no need to tap it.

Bill

Thank you, Bill. This one has a rudimentary bridge rectifier that feeds rectified 120V directly to the coil through a manual momentary switch. The poles are two opposite legs of a massive horseshoe core.

Back