What's new
What's new

Metal Bandsaw suggestions $5K budget

danmcph

Plastic
I have been using a Portaband in a SWAG offroad holder and am ready to get a real metal working bandsaw. I have a $5K budget and would prefer US or Taiwan manufacture. I don't need a large throat. 5" would be plenty.

What should I be looking at?

Doall prices for good condition machines must have risen. I have been watching for them and 2-4K seems to be the market. The deals tend to be farther away and the ones close enough to run, examine, and haul get into the higher end quickly. If a really sweet machine shows up close to home, I wouldn't wait for it to come down below 1K or even 2K in price. I bought a very nice 20-13 with some blades and feel I overpaid at 4K but I didn't need a project or have time to haul so I sucked it up. Dave

It didn't look anything like that when I got it. Wish I had taken before Pic's. I found it sitting in the dirt behind an unrelated business. Covered in dirt, grease, oil. The motor/VS drive compartment looked like it had never been cleaned and was so full of caked on dried oil and dirt that nothing would move. But it was complete and nothing was broken. The owner said it was there when he bought the place and he had no use for it. We haggled around and finally agreed on $185. Took a lot of work but now after 20+ years of tender loving care it still performs like the day it came off the assembly line.

I'm on year four with my Ellis 1600 saw. I like it, no need to clean coolant off before welding, cuts aluminum, steel, plastic, wood, titanium, etc with no issues. It can do vertical if you need to.

If you are looking at a vertical saw, I have a Parma Work A Matic. Love it. Autofeeds or free hand. I use it for all kinds of cuts, mandrel bends, sheet metal, plate, bar, etc. Dake now owns the rights to those saws and they are still available. Roll In is the same type saw.

Depending on how you need to use a band saw, the Roll In may be good for you. It's a compromise between a vertical and horizontal saw. It can be used to work on flat sheets manually, or to cut bars and the like with its auto feed.

since you have a swag table im thinking you woudl like the roll in. love mine im a knife maker that cuts down 2x3' sheets of steel and now and then uses the self feed. mine was used for 2400$ i think new they are around 5K

DoAll and Grob saws are much more than $5k new. I think around 25k as an average. Roll in saws are a compromise. You really need both horizontal and vertical in a job shop. I have both and I would not be happy without either one.

Back