Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephen thomas View Post
    FWIW I was not criticizing the BP head..

Missed the travadials. Nice addition.

smt
    The way I got the machine and the price, I was just thrilled I could adapt it to my needs. It's been a great machine so far.

Believe it or not, I paid $285.00 for this planer. With both trav-a-dials. Thinking I stole it. I've got just under $2k into it. Very first job, paid off the investment. It gets run about 3 times a year now and everytime just blows me away at what I can charge for long milling. Nobody else around can do this.

Sent from my rotary dial flip fone

2. Likes mhajicek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by stephen thomas View Post
    FWIW I was not criticizing the BP head.
    Sometimes even think of putting a SB head on mine. Since all my good tooling is 30T & I like SB tapered roller bearings. But keeping the planer function as Tyrone describes.

However, in response to the OP's stated open questions, i mentioned things i do or muse about on mine. Again, the BP head is most versatile if the cutters are small. If the jobs end up all being planing/surfacing jobs, you can swing bigger cutters with more rigidity on 40T.

Missed the travadials. Nice addition.

The thing about planers is how versatile the platform is, for all sorts of functions. & even small planers provide a rather large work envelop.

smt
    We only converted more modern planers with electric drives. A DC motor/gearbox was fastened to the rear end of the main table motor commutator shaft, driving via an interlocked clutch. You could plane with the motor/gearbox disconnected using the generator set and main motor. Or you could mill using the motor/gearbox connected into the motor drive.

It's pretty simple really from a mechanical point of view. The electrical side of the job wasn't my problem.

The later " Futur-Mill" heads we installed were a nice piece of work. Very powerful with a large range of infinitely variable speeds in two ranges. Powered down feed on the quill with about 6" of vertical travel. Only drawback was they didn't have a drawbar, everything had to be bolted to the spindle flange. Some also had mountable right angle heads. If the customer requested it we mounted the heads on the planing swivel box but that was on the strict understanding that they were responsible for any misshaps that might occur when they were attempting to swivel the head over.

Regards Tyrone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tyrone, here's a couple of pics of two different spar mills John Oder and I used to play on. One is a old Wadkins English made spar mill. The other was a NC retrofit to a Onsrud spar mill. Both have 50 HP Future Mill milling heads installed on them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_0043.jpg   img_0044.jpg  

5. Likes Hardplates liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 4GSR View Post
    Tyrone, here's a couple of pics of two different spar mills John Oder and I used to play on. One is a old Wadkins English made spar mill. The other was a NC retrofit to a Onsrud spar mill. Both have 50 HP Future Mill milling heads installed on them.
    Nice work. Those heads are different in design to the ones I worked on.

Regards Tyrone.

7. Likes 4GSR liked this post