What's new
What's new

Metal Rod Treading Help

JIMMIEM

Plastic
I'm working on a project which requires a couple of steel rods with threaded ends. The rods will be 3 feet long. The rod diameter will be 3/8". I would like to use the strongest (high yield strength) that I can and that I will be able to thread (DIE) with a hand held DIE and Handle. I've checked some web sites that describe the properties of different types of steel rods but I don't have any experience or frame of reference. The rods will be part of a wood working jig that will support a woodworking router in the center of the rods and should not flex.
Thank You for any advice and suggestions.
Also, I will need to get a DIE and Handle and would appreciate any advice on where to buy, brands, material, etc.

Why do you have to do it ?

Is this installed ?

Mass should have a machine shop close by that could do it properly for you.

Btw "strongest threads" are usually rolled, not cut with a DIE.

The jig I am making will have a woodworking router supported by 2 rods. The router will be in the middle. The threads will be at the ends and I wouldn't think will have much weight on the threads.

10 pounds. It will be supported by both rods and be in the middle. It won't be hanging from the midpoint of the rods. The rods will pass through supports on each side of the router which are approximately 4" long.

Here is the shitty part, you could have the worlds strongest steel rod and
the worlds shittiest steel rod, and you put 10 pounds on both of them, and
they are going to flex exactly the same amount.

You might be able to put 1000 pounds on the 'stronger' one, and only 300 pounds
on the 'weaker' one before they yield.. But up to that yield point, they are
going to flex the same amount.

Are these rods going to be horizontal, or vertical?

If vertical, they won't sag, but they won't be stiff enough to hold a router that is doing any kind of cutting.

Back