What's new
What's new

Metal Spinning a Skillet

mrbforge

Plastic
I run a small blacksmith shop, and am looking into spinning skillets/frying pans. I was curious what size lathe, and if I could convert a wood lathe, in order to make frying pans from 12 gauge discs? Don't wanna invest in a lathe only to find I won't be able to spin my intended items with it.

Thanks!

Spinning there be more to that than meets the eye. I am by no means an expert, I've toyed with it just enough to know that I don't know what I don't know. And what I know is just enought to limp by.

But having said that I've watched a couple of guys on youtube fail miserabally.

What you need to know is that you are not simply bending metal, you are causing it to flow. And as such you can thin the metal out or gather it up as you form. Know what you want and then work that direction.

As for a wood lathe, yes if it's old school gnarly, with big robust bearings. Me personally "on the cheap" I'd find someting like an old Logan 2500 where the bed has seen better days and double up on the spindle bearings, which you could do on those lathes without too much fuss by sacrficing a spacer. The bearings were preloaded by a belville washer so you had a little wiggle room to work with.

You generally don't need bed length in a spinning lathe as most of the work is done close to the headstock. There is a lot of force applied and usually a big swing, so large bearings are best. There is a bunch of ideas here: Lathes modified for metal spinning by James P. Riser
This is what a real one looks like: Manual metal spinning lathes for sale with mandrels, molds and tools in USA Pennsylvania, Mexico
Note - big and wide spacing on the headstock bearings, huge swing and big tailstock ram to support the clamping force.

I run a small blacksmith shop, and am looking into spinning skillets/frying pans. I was curious what size lathe, and if I could convert a wood lathe, in order to make frying pans from 12 gauge discs? Don't wanna invest in a lathe only to find I won't be able to spin my intended items with it.

Thanks!
So your used to bashing steel....use your current skills & tools:
#CHINA WOKS - YouTube
70 people hammering woks together - YouTube
Making Wok From Steel Sheet by Talented Guy | Simple Steps With Amazing Skills | How to Make Karahi - YouTube

Do a lot of research before you enter into metal spinning! You will also need a heavy circle shear for 12 gage steel.
I have close to 50 years experience spinning metal and was lucky to have purchased a new lathe in the early 70s. If I had found an old used lathe and tried to figure it out my self it might have been a disaster!
I had a few old timers spin for me and slowly picked it up. It’s a very tricky process - Not Easy to teach your self.

A skillet or frying pan is a relatively easy spin job due to the shallow depth to diameter, you have 8 or 10 inch diameter flat support to spin a few inches deep, unlike a Wok that would have around 3” diameter nose.
Also - don’t bother spinning on a wood mandrel you’ll want steel for this job.

If I was going to make it by hand, I'd hammer form it on a buck out of thicker-than-12 gauge-material. Hot vs cold form would depend on the thickness. Maybe forge the 'rim' and weld it to the bottom.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Even with woks, the good cooks don't like the cheesy thin spun ones. That's why there's videos of guys hammering thicker metal over a form.
right. Thin pans have hot spots. Thin woks, too. Cookin' don't change cause of the geography. Heats still heat and the food don't change that much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

"Here's a former aerospace engineer..."

I gotta ask...what difference does it make that he used to be an 'aerospace engineer'? That seems to imply something...I just can't put a handle on what.

It's like these headlines I constantly see...."Man chases mother of 3 after she stabbed his leg". As if being a mother has some bearing on the story....

"Here's a former aerospace engineer..."

I gotta ask...what difference does it make that he used to be an 'aerospace engineer'? That seems to imply something...I just can't put a handle on what.

It's like these headlines I constantly see...."Man chases mother of 3 after she stabbed his leg". As if being a mother has some bearing on the story....

He had 20 minutes to clean out his desk, whereupon he was walked to the door.....

Back