What's new
What's new

Speeding up 50 ton press

Bryce.R

Aluminum
Just bought a new 50 ton press with the air assist feature. Only problem is that the air actually drives the ram down slower that the manual hand jack, which is pretty hopeless for broaching etc.
How can I increase the speed of the air assist?
I understand you will probably need more info on the press to help me so let me know what you need and ill tell you.

In most models the air drives an air motor. It is possible that there is some problem with the air motor or the pump it is driving; there can be many reasons for this. I have a 50T air assist cylinder and it is reasonably fast with air - certainly faster than the hand pump.

bfdc49b8a7621214597c2c6e9596a717.jpg
2923c0826d315739bab5c4c40546a430.jpg

Speed of the ram is a function of flow volume out of the pump. Several things factor into that.

The obvious first thing would be to make sure everything is functioning properly. Is the oil type and the level correct, proper size air and oil lines, enough air supply available, nothing damaged and so on.

Secondly, while flow provides speed, pressure provides the ability to do the work. If you maintain high flow at high pressure, it takes a lot of power. On a lower cost unit a lot of times the pump is not variable displacement to keep cost down. The pump will be sized to do the maxim work with a small motor. If that is the case, the only real option is start upgrading stuff.

Is there any way you can find out what the normal speed for this press is supposed to be? A spec like ram travel per minute or ask someone who owns the same press? Could be that it is doing all it will do the way it is designed.

If everything is working the way it is designed to, then you really need to start changing stuff. If you end up down that road you have all kinds of options if you want to spend the money on them.

Shit-bin the air system and replace it with an electric pump.

For broaching, you are going to want smooth motion and steady movement, yeah? But the pressure isn't going to be 50 tons, required, most of the time.

I have seen several of the Import 50T presses that were fitted out with a two stage pump and power pack, same as would be used on a log splitter. The first stage gives pretty rapid (by comparison) travel, and if the pressure passes the threshold to kick over the internal valve, the pump switches over to a lower flow, higher pressure pump.

I dunno why the Import suppliers all seem to be going to these air systems. I suppose that there are more guys with air compressors than with a decent 220v plug available, plus the air systems are cheaper than a hydraulic pump to source, likely.

Cheers
Trev

Back