metric end mill in imperial R8 collet - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    . . .You are not strong enough to tighten an R8 to hold a four flute 3/4" carbide cutter on a heavy cut. . .Bill
    Bull. I'm not a very big boy, but I don't have any issues when I pay attention. Maybe your tooling was worn or something, or maybe its different with cnc (I'm all manual). But good collets + good tooling = good results for me.

2. Likes Trueturning, henrya liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A dovetail cutter? A DOVETAIL CUTTER! He wants to use a dovetail cutter.

A 6mm, 60 degree dovetail cutter.

So you are cutting a dovetail? Or some other 60 degree feature. I could be wrong and the others here will probably bring up many instances where I have been, but and in my HUMBLE opinion and limited experience with cutting dovetails (yes I have cut them), you do not need an exact sized cutter to cut a dovetail. Each size dovetail cutter will cut a range of dovetails.

But what does your 6mm refer to, the shank or the cutter's maximum diameter? In any case, there is no reason why you need to get a "6mm" one. You could just as easily use a "1/4" one, weather that be the shank size or the cutting diameter. And that should be available from multiple sources.

Quote Originally Posted by dspahn View Post
    Yes. But the end mill I'm trying to hold is a 6mm 60 degree dovetail cutter which MSC doesn't even sell. Nor does McMaster. I don't even have the end mill in hand yet (which makes the rectal insertion that much more difficult). The ones I found that fit my budget are import from Ebay. The listing doesn't say what the shank size is. The seller hasn't answered my question. So it might be imperial, but I doubt it. But, with the sleeve idea, no matter what the size is, if I don't have the correct collet, I can make do without having to wait for one to be shipped.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EPAIII View Post
    So you are cutting a dovetail?
    Yes.

Or some other 60 degree feature.
    Nothing planned, yet.

you do not need an exact sized cutter to cut a dovetail. Each size dovetail cutter will cut a range of dovetails.
    Yes, but if you need the widest part of the dovetail to be only 6mm, which I do, a 1/4" cutter won't work. (6mm = 0.23622in).

But what does your 6mm refer to, the shank or the cutter's maximum diameter?
    6mm I'm talking about is the maximum diameter of the cutting part of the cutter. I'm creating an application specific holder for a DTI, and the dovetails are 6mm at their widest.
    I could have gotten a smaller cutter, but 6mm is already small enough to be more fragile than my skills can probably deal with.

In any case, there is no reason why you need to get a "6mm" one. You could just as easily use a "1/4" one.
    Nope. As explained above.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm creating an application specific holder for a DTI, and the dovetails are 6mm at their widest.
    I could have gotten a smaller cutter, but 6mm is already small enough to be more fragile than my skills can probably deal with.
    43 posts in, you finally tell us what's afoot... and it isn't even ABOUT the shank size .. for a component that isn't even best addressed with an endmill at all?

When the only tool you THINK you have is a hammer the whole nail becomes your world?

No one else in the whole universe ever needed to grasp an ignorant DI/DTI dovetail?

Who told you THAT lie?

Store bought dovetail mounts only exist in a few HUNDRED varieties one can use directly else simply "rob" for their dovetail attach portion. Adjustable or otherwise.

They start at under EIGHT US dollars.

Gof-uck-ing-ogle that.

Ate bux won't even cover the bar tab you've run up f*****g everyone about, will it?

It's yer COMMUNICATION skills as are "fragile", Pilgrim.

Learn from that. Please.

6. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, in the face of all that, all I can say is

GO AHEAD AND MAKE THE STUPID SPLIT SLEEVE.

And I, for one, will say no more on this. It has been talked to death.

Yes.

Nothing planned, yet.

Yes, but if you need the widest part of the dovetail to be only 6mm, which I do, a 1/4" cutter won't work. (6mm = 0.23622in).

6mm I'm talking about is the maximum diameter of the cutting part of the cutter. I'm creating an application specific holder for a DTI, and the dovetails are 6mm at their widest.

Nope. As explained above.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OOOOOH goody 44 post and no-ones mentioned it

PM purists wind up time alarm, ............you don't even need a split sleeve, because green loctite retaining compound will keep a sleeve on and end mills shank, ...(as it will a twist drill, countersink and / or bore, a reamer and even a tap (but don't let on you heard that from me or 4X knows what fate will befall me )

9. Likes 72bwhite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    OOOOOH goody 44 post and no-ones mentioned it

PM purists wind up time alarm, ............you don't even need a split sleeve, because green loctite retaining compound will keep a sleeve on and end mills shank, ...(as it will a twist drill, countersink and / or bore, a reamer and even a tap (but don't let on you heard that from me or 4X knows what fate will befall me )
    Limy stirring up trouble again...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Split sleeves can be made. I find them problematic unless it is acceptable to get a job out quick.I am a believer in buying collets and holders. To get jobs out the door I have made them before.

Something to remember is that most all things which are available for sale to buy then buy them as too much time can be burned up making something that may not even run true enough.

If you do not have the option then sure take it on.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Limy stirring up trouble again...
    Moi? ........how could you?