What's new
What's new

Metric Gears and Racks, I'm lost.

alphonso

Titanium
Large Italian built lathe. Crank and gear for tailstock are missing. Near as I can tell the pitch/module(?) is .511/13mm. Measuring from crown of one tooth to same point on next tooth. WTF have I got here? Have about 2.375" clearance between rack and lead screw.

Going by your info You have probably ?????? got a MOD 13 rack & pinion, .......IME Italian m/c tool builders love to be awkward and ''brew their own'' my Induma mill has 5tpi leadscews on 30mm dia

Large Italian built lathe. Crank and gear for tailstock are missing. Near as I can tell the pitch/module(?) is .511/13mm. Measuring from crown of one tooth to same point on next tooth. WTF have I got here? Have about 2.375" clearance between rack and lead screw.

No tooth count yet - but lets say it is 12 teeth and Module 4 - makes a 48 mm pitch dia - a little less than 2"

As to what the pitch eyeballs, that same gear would have 12.56 mm "looking" pitch

It would help to post a dimension from center of what the gear mounts on to mid depth of rack tooth

Pulled segment off tail stock end of machine to get (maybe) better measurements. Doesn't appear to have any wear. Kinda surprised that there is 4 or 5 thousandths difference in overall height in the 22 inch long segment. Width of rack is 1.525.

John, not sure what you are asking, base of rack to (sort of) pitch line? 1.071.

DSCF1040.jpg

Limi, yes there are a number of strange things on this lathe. Operations are a wee bit different from what I am used to.

John, not sure what you are asking, base of rack to (sort of) pitch line? 1.071.
Your picture added to

DSCF1040.jpg

In other words, you have some sort of bracket bolted to TS and it has a bore in it for said axle. You need to know a vertical dimension from the C/L of that bore up to the point indicated on the captioned rack photo

Twice that dimension is pitch diameter of gear you need - and will be evenly divisible by some number of teeth that are Module 4 sized

I am sticking to Module 4 for the time being since its pitch is only .008 less than what you came up with .352 + .1535

The other possibility is that the Italian gents used .500" circular pitch instead of anything metric

As can be seen on your rack sketch, your new gear will be 20 degree pressure angle

For reference, here is what the "bracket" looks like on my 20" Heavy Greaves Klusman

P1000289csm.jpg

I guess I wasn't clear in my original post. I do not have the tail stock bracket, gear, axle or handle. I want to know what pitch of gear will be compatibale with the rack. The bracket, size and number of teeth of the gear can be determined when the pitch of the rack is known.

i have English/imperial/American pitch gages and none of them fit the rack. 6 pitch is a little course, 7 pitch is a little fine. Have metric/module gages coming. Just thought I could get a head start from the group.

Well, metric/module gages arrived. It appears that M4 is the pitch. The root of the gage matches the crest of the rack. However, the rack has truncated teeth. According to a downloaded CAD file and the gage, the tooth height is .346, not the .278 measured on the rack.

Now to find a gear that will fit in between the rack and the lead screw, then make a bracket.

BTW, the Misumi link requires registering to read CAD files/order product and is not sending out verification email. Will find a gear elsewhere.

The bracket, size and number of teeth of the gear can be determined when the pitch of the rack is known.
Alphonso, everything in involute gearing is derived from the rack, so since you have a rack, it's a pickanick mr ranger sir. For pitch, just measure from any feature to the same feature on an adjacent tooth. There's your pitch.

Pressure angle likewise, it's the angle between a vertical and the side of one tooth.

If you gotta rack, you're set, buddy.

Back