What's new
What's new

Metric Spline Measuring and Machining?

mkodama

Plastic
I'm trying to recreate a shaft with a metric spline and I'm struggling. Does anybody know what standards this might follow, and if not, how to correctly measure and recreate this?

Details:
  • 9 teeth
  • OD ~16.5mm (how do I even measure a spline with uneven number of teeth?)
  • ID ~13.0mm (Like OD, tough to measure)
  • Roots flat
  • Profile of sides of teeth have a curve, involute?
  • Shaft with spline is of Danish and Swedish origin, made in 2000, no longer available. (Made by either Kleemann or AutoRotor)

IMG_2792.jpg IMG_2794.jpg

EDIT: also, woot! My first post since joining in 2014!

You might try mounting it in 3-jaw (or collet) and measuring the radius of the O.D. and the bottom of gullet. If it is an involute spline and the fit is critical, you'll probably want to find a cutter specifically that purpose. If the fit is less critical, you may be able to get by with grinding a single point tool to match the gullet profile and then cutting it on a mill with that tool mounted in a suitable fly cutter (they're easy to make if you don't have one).

You may even be able to get by by cutting a straight spline on the vertical mill in multiple passes using an endmill.

The attached image is an excerpt of a drawing for the cross-section of a straight spline on the cross-feed shaft of my Colchester Mk 1.5 lathe. I have cut a test piece to verify that my measurements will result in a good sliding fit. It is cut in three passes on the vertical mill for each gullet. The first two passes cut the vertical sides of the gullet with the adjacent tooth at the zero degree position, offset from center of the tooth. The third pass cuts the bottom of the gullet flat.

Keith Fenner posted a YouTube video in recent months where he cut a straight spline using a similar technique.

spline.jpg

Back