A micro fabrication job - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I recently had an email conversation with Marcus enquiring about a small-scale wire edm job. I came away from it wiser and better educated as a result of his patient analysis, negative though it was, of what I proposed. The injector job that is the subject of his present thread reinforces the high opinion I formed of the quality of his work. It is work that deserves to be billed accordingly, as most have indicated above.

-Marty-
    Last edited by Marty Feldman; 10-28-2019 at 11:00 AM.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have to echo what others have said and say beautiful work.

I'm a fairly experienced TIG welder but have no experience micro welding. Even still with the required tolerances, not to mention the PITA factor, I would have no problem charging ~$300 loonies per piece. Don't feel bad for charging $125, in fact, your customer should be on their knees thanking you! I bet these little junks end up selling for $1k each to the end user.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid_Tech View Post
    I have to echo what others have said and say beautiful work.

I'm a fairly experienced TIG welder but have no experience micro welding. Even still with the required tolerances, not to mention the PITA factor, I would have no problem charging ~$300 loonies per piece. Don't feel bad for charging $125, in fact, your customer should be on their knees thanking you! I bet these little junks end up selling for $1k each to the end user.
    I looked up a part similar to what we make day in/out (nothing like OP's part, just a similar story about pricing) and was shocked to see the list price was just over 1k$ !!

I do the programming here, and setup when needed so I know exactly what those "style" of parts take to program and machine...

Sounds like $125 ea is a bargain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I agree with everyone else - $125 each is a steal. You may have come out okay on qty 25, but this sounds like a situation where quantity does NOT result in a discount price - quite the opposite, as this little fiddly work would require you to take a break every so often to avoid going blind.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Saskatchewan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is there some requirement that there be 3 round wires welded onto a tube? How about just milling (or actually hobbing) the feature on the tube as a form of an interrupted spline?

6. Likes Gordon Heaton liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi HuFlungDung:
    You asked
    "How about just milling (or actually hobbing) the feature on the tube as a form of an interrupted spline?"

The problem is that the part in question is a 1/16" diameter DOM tube with a through hole that's 0.015" diameter in 316 stainless.
    It's an inch long and the ID and OD tolerances are tight.
    To follow your idea would require the customer to find 0.093" tubing with an 0.015" diameter bore in order to have it splined and turned.
    I can cut off, position and weld 3 wires in about 15 minutes but it's tedious work.
    I don't think I can make the splined tubes in that kind of time without a pretty sophisticated setup assuming I can even find the tubing.
    I really don't fancy drilling an 0.015" diameter hole +/- 0.001" through 1" of 316 stainless, so I'm not willing to consider making them from the solid, even though I know I could hole pop a 1" plate, wirecut the holes to size and finish and then wire cut the OD profiles to make my custom splined tubes.
    I just don't think I can do all that for a reasonable price.

Cheers

Marcus
    Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
    Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

8. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by implmex View Post
    Positioning the little wires to tack them onto the 1/16" tube was the whole trick, so I made a little jig to hold them in place and clamp them.
    Lots of fun fiddling the wires into the jig under the microscope...there's dropped wires EVERYWHERE!
    Well, jeez, Marcus, if your asking for a suggestion for an improved jig, we will need to see the one you are currently using. ;-) It is quite unlikely that I would have a useful idea, but I do like puzzling over such questions. So, tease us with a pic and challenge us to do better.

BTW, I am only 40 miles (66Km) south of you but miles and miles behind your fabrication skills.

Denis

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Since it sounds like you have the fixturing figured out and just don't want to mess with repetitive tiny parts/labor what about subbing out to a jeweler with a laser welder? I don't know if theirs would have the power, or what the quality requirements are. I do know that right after my jeweler friend bought his laser welder years ago he was desperate for work, and fast/experienced with tiny things. He's well busy now and not geographically nearby, but there are likely closer options.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Davinci robot, piece of cake handling those wires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Marcus,
    Very nice work. I also think your price is a tad low. However you did say it worked out well for you so you must have been moving along fairly quickly. My guess is that you got it done within an 8 hour day.
    I know your edm skills are off the chart so here goes with my small wire clamping idea...is it possible to modify a small drill chuck to align and clamp all in one go? You would only be able to weld one end at a time though. The main issue would still be loading the wires into the chuck.
    My inclination is to use some very small tape to hold the wires until they are clamped. There are some very small very sticky tapes available. A little experimenting with a layout jig with the tape laid flat and then roll it around the tube would get you close and still have some flex to get things lined up with chuck or other clamp jig.
    Please ignore this if it is all hot air as I have very little experience working small.
    There is one guarantee though, if you do take on a larger volume you will find a way to make them faster than you thought possible.

Cheers and good luck,
    Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What function do the wires serve? Could a oversize sleeve be crimped around the tube with three flanges left by the crimping?
    I guess it would take some sort of three part crimping die. Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fantastic thread.
    Your pricing was spot-on ! (grin) imho.

Endless ways I can think of for manual-lathe/turret type automation to partly speed the production.
    A 24-part round fixture could hold the ends, 2 separate discs cutting and finishing doing all 24 at once.

Giving 50$/part pricing, vs 125$ test parts, I would expect for 1000-unit x n quantities, with a 2000-3000 unit guaranteed minimum.

For medium-low volume, my opinion is to hire someone young/keen to do whatever is fiddly, like the welding, at 5 min each as you said.
    E. Pay 150-200$ extra for every 50 with less than 3 rejects. = 4$ each, plus 2$ base.
    The worker is effectively a sub making great money, and will do their absolute best to produce great parts.

Engineering students for auto mechanics, advanced welding, robotics.
    Advanced welders of any type looking for piecework.