What's new
What's new

Mil-Tec Freedom Shell Mill

Superbowl

Hot Rolled
In a package deal for some equipment and machines I ended up with a Mil-Tec Freedom 3" shell mill (Model 02007) with an R8 shank that fits my BP. I don't know much about these but from what I read they call it a "freedom" because it takes three types of inserts (round, octagon, and square.) It did not come with any inserts and there is no sense in having it sit around unusable so I want to get some general purpose inserts just to have on hand for now. If I end up needing some special inserts for a particular job I can always order them.

Does anyone have one of these, if so what do you think of them? High, medium, or poor quality?
Their literature implies that their inserts are proprietary Will standard industry inserts work in it or must I buy from them?
Just to have something on hand for general purpose use (lets say mild steel) what shape and type of insert would you recommend?

Thanks

I'd go sq if I needed square edges, if I was say machining up to a step. If I was just facing with it I'd go octagon and take advantage of that 45deg leading edge.

That's what I was thinking. Likely I would use it for facing so the Octagon also gives more edges.

It looks like mcmaster carries mil tec cutters and inserts

Convienient if you only need a few inserts for an oddball material.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Sounds like a jack of all trades...good at a bit of everything, but great at nothing.

That has pretty much been my experience with every "flexible" insert tool so far.

But the biggest problem is the security tradeoff.

In order to accommodate two or more shapes of insert, the insert location is very weak and easily damaged, with a much shorter accurate lifespan and much less likely to survive a broken insert.

I'm sure this one is no different.

Back