Military Gas Bottles - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
    How is the neck ring removed? My new shop has a choice of 2 gas suppliers, both have given me option of I produce a tank with their name on ring, or no name on ring, and they will swap out full bottles. I found several tanks cheap, but name on them is the old (now defunct) gas supplier in town. Or I cough up $450 per bottle to buy from them.....there is no rental option.
    Honestly, I have no idea. I have some with and some without, so either the latter had them removed at some point, or never had them installed. But I would guess that a big pair of Channelocks or a punch and a hammer would remove one without too much trouble.

$450 each might be reasonable depending on the tank. Star (*) rated tanks in higher pressures (like 4500PSI) are pretty expensive. Used O2 bottles at 2400 PSI without the * are pretty cheap used (like $150/each). It depends on what fills you need. I have a mix of 3500, 3600, and 4500 PSI T bottles for the cascade system on my breathing air compressor, but my leased O2 and He T's are always 2400 PSI. (No swaps are available for the grades of gas I buy and I don't blame them a bit.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pretty sure they are just 2400 psi, maybe 3000, can't check at the moment. Coughed up $$ for the co2/argon mix bottle already, still need oxy & acet bottles. The distributors don't do any filling, or carry welding supplies, just the bottles that you can swap, choice for more options is too far away to consider(250 miles). Choice of dealers is Linde?/Airco? and Norco, got mix bottle from Norco. Most of the bottles available in the town have a small town distributor (think only that town) name on the ring, he closed up about 5 years ago. Back in tx, have some dead bottles here (cut in half for gongs), I'll see if I can get a ring off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
    Pretty sure they are just 2400 psi, maybe 3000, can't check at the moment. Coughed up $$ for the co2/argon mix bottle already, still need oxy & acet bottles. The distributors don't do any filling, or carry welding supplies, just the bottles that you can swap, choice for more options is too far away to consider(250 miles). Choice of dealers is Linde?/Airco? and Norco, got mix bottle from Norco. Most of the bottles available in the town have a small town distributor (think only that town) name on the ring, he closed up about 5 years ago. Back in tx, have some dead bottles here (cut in half for gongs), I'll see if I can get a ring off.
    O2 bottles should be cleaned the way the CGA specifies, in theory. (In practice, one local supplier used to hyro them, whip them, and put them into O2 service without further cleaning, which gave me the willies.) Other than that, green paint, and having the right valve (CGA 540), nothing makes an O2 bottle different from most other HP gas bottles. For O2, pressures higher than 2400 might be special order. HP O2 makes a lot of people nervous. (Me, for instance. I'm happy with 2400 PSI.)

It seems worth mentioning, barely, that a lot of fire companies upgraded their systems to higher pressures, making lots of used tanks rated below 6000PSI available at more reasonable prices. Not to mention great compressors with low hours on them, if you need an HP breathing air compressor.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

viton o-rings and christolube grease. for O2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr-Mike View Post
    viton o-rings and christolube grease. for O2.
    True for scuba O2 service, though some valves used in industrial O2 service actually use BUNA-N instead. Why, I have no clue. For storage tanks, CGA 540 valves come assembled and cleaned for O2 service already. If you were to order kits for them, they will come with the right internal O-ring. The price difference between a rebuild kit and a new valve, though, is negligible, so I just order new ones if needed and have never rebuilt one. There's no neck O-ring, though, as you likely know, because they use NGT threads, and they are installed using O2-compatible Teflon tape.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi everyone,

Wow thanks for all the input. I guess I have to turn on notifications because I didn't realize anyone had replies. Ok so to be clear, I am NOT suggesting stamping a hydro test mark on the bottle!!!!!!! All the bottles have recent test dates except one which needs a hydro test but my local gas supply shop didn't want to work with it because it does have "SOLD" anywhere on the bottle. Neither do the others. These are legitimately my bottles and all came in the lot that I mentioned. They are really cool and I don't want to lose them when getting them filled if someone gets the idea they are stolen.

I'd like to know if 1) has anyone ever seen a "SOLD" stamp on a military bottle and where its supposed to be and 2) should I put the mark on to satify my local shop or just go to another shop for hydro and fill.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do you still have receipt from military? Does it list bottles? Or just part of a misc lot? Me, I'd probably just stamp sold into one and see what they say? Does your supplier fill them at that location? If so you can keep track of them, if they are sent off to be filled, you will most likely not get them back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was poking around my old shop (now occupied by young gearhead racers) yesterday afternoon and spotted a nitrogen bottle that has been living in a corner for past 20 or so years. Looking it over I noticed "US ARMY" in raised letters on ring, rest of ring was stamped "Alamo Welding Supply Austin Texas". Did not see any "SOLD" stamp anywhere else on bottle. Oldest hydro date is 1945, newest is 1998, so it is out of date. Stick on label says Airco, that might be the other supplier in Nv.

Need to call supplier in Nv and see if they will accept it as a trade for an oxy bottle, if need be I can get it hydro tested here fairly inexpensively. Also found an old acetylene bottle, I quit using it when I moved to SM, local supplier would not accept it at the time because it did not match the sizes they swapped out, pretty sure supplier in Nv carries that size. Hopefully these will take care of my bottle needs.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

never had a receipt from the military, only a bill of sale from the guy I bought the lot from. I figure he got them from the DMRO or they were just mixed in when he exchanged bottles. I imagine there are allot of these out there without a SOLD stamp so I'm not sure how legit of a concern that is.