What's new
What's new

mill in a corner

sparky30_06

Plastic
I'm in the process of packing up my late fathers shop and moving it across country. I'm trying to come up with a good layout. I have a 1200 sq garage that double as my wood shop. I'm kicking the trucks out and going to make it all shop, planning on walling off one bay, 13' x 30', to set up the machine shop. I've see alot of folks place a mill at a 45 in a corner and was wondering what the advantage of that is. I will have a mill, lathe, surface grinder, horizontal mill (maybe), bench and storage cabinets in there.

Its space efficient. My mill is in the front corner of the workshop next to a single car garage door.
I open the garage door and stand at the opening to run the x axis.

I used to have mine in a corner but found it limited my ability to put long pieces in the mill. Like if you want to work on the end of an 8' stick. It also makes the mill hard to clean/sweep around the back side. And side sides. I moved the mill along a wall and keep my Jane Fonda ThighMaster in the corner. If that ThighMaster can keep Hanoi Jane from falling through herself, it's gotta be worthy of a place in my shop.

Please don't mention her name. I was actually in Vietnam when that assclown went to Hanoi. If I could have, I would have shot the bitch right there and then. Still bothers me to hear her name.

mill or drill press should be placed along a wall, not in a corner because you will eventually have a long part job. IMHO

Surface grinder sparks and throw-direction to a wall not to an aisle way.
Try to set travel limits to still allow a small pushcart to pass ends.

I like my Bridgeport on a pallet- one made to fit. Mine lives in the corner unless I’m doing something long then just pull out the machine. Simple, and anything else that can go on a pallet is bolted to one for easy use and storage.

Those of us with small shops need flexibility.

L7

Do you have a second door into the garage? If so orientate the mill (and drill) so a long workpiece can poke out through that door.

My Bridgeport is pretty much into a corner but orientated so along workpiece can poke out through the door and over the veggie plot. Standard position is at a small (10 - 15°) angle so the into shop dimension is restricted to maybe 4 ft. If I really need length its no great issue to pull the machine forwards a little and swing so the X axis is aligned with the door. Gives me about 12 ft inside the shop. Longest so far was just over 14 ft but that job had to wait until after harvest time so the runner bean and pea frames were out of the way!

Pollard pillar drill sits next in from the Bridgeport so can play similar tricks, albeit with less into the shop space.

Rapidor power saw is set so long stuff can poke out the main door with maybe 9 ft clear on the cut side. I have sufficient supports to handle 20 ft bars.

My shop layout just grew over time. Effective enough but it could stand a full replan.

Clive

My shop is a 20' sea container so I'm struggling with space.
My mill went inside just an hour ago, it takes up 1/3 of my shop!
After much thought, I realized it simply has to have retractable castor wheels, so it can be rotated or pushed from side to side as required to accommodate work.

It will take a while the make the castor wheel system so for now it's a space hog.

At home my manual mill is in a corner and boxed in with toolboxes on either wall. It stays on timber’s and if I need to clean it or a part doesn’t fit the cord is long enough to easily pallet jack it a few feet forward and give it a spin if required.

"Please don't mention her name. I was actually in Vietnam when that assclown went to Hanoi. If I could have, I would have shot the bitch right there and then. Still bothers me to hear her name."

That's precisely why it's important to use her name. People have a bad habit of forgetting, and for the young people, it's important they learn it. Forgiving and forgetting is the biggest insult of all.

Depending on the size of the machine, 1 or 2 pallet jacks solves machinery location issues in a matter of minutes. I moved my 10,000 lb. Monarch lathe just the other day about 4' in one direction using 2 pallet jacks, a long 6" X 6" timber in front, and my skidloader with forks to do the pushing. After cleaning under the machine, I reversed the process and pulled it right back where it was.

Point being, your work, and the size of the stock you're milling, will dictate where you can put something. In a pinch, a pallet jack will allow you to move a machine out of the corner for a bigger (rare) sized part. When you're finished, put it right back where it was with the pallet jack. I paid a total of $125 for both my pallet jacks ($50 and &75). They're both rated at 5500 lbs. each.

thanks for the input guys, I'll be putting the mill flat against the wall and the surface grinder throwing sparks into the corner

That's precisely why it's important to use her name. People have a bad habit of forgetting, and for the young people, it's important they learn it. Forgiving and forgetting is the biggest insult of all.

In the pantheon of treacherous cunts, her place is right there with Tokyo Rose. She should have done time. In generations past she probably would've been shot.

Please don't mention her name. I was actually in Vietnam when that assclown went to Hanoi. If I could have, I would have shot the bitch right there and then. Still bothers me to hear her name.
Hmm. You went halfway around the world to murder people who'd done nothing to you, because some drunk in Washington had a paranoid nightmare about commies under the bed, and you're upset about Jane Fonda.

That makes sense.

Back