What's new
What's new

Mill run Aluminum tubing

GMBM

Aluminum
Looking for information on getting mill run of aluminum
There was a thread about this some time ago but a search does not bring anything up

Would anyone know a mill that we would be able to contact in reference to getting 1000 foot runs of tubing. Our shop have been having trouble sourcing certain sizes of aluminum tubing, could have to wait 8 to 12 weeks for certain sizes

Tubing would be in the range of 1.75 up to 4 inch with .5 wall
6061 aluminum

Thank You
Greg

Looking for information on getting mill run of aluminum
There was a thread about this some time ago but a search does not bring anything up

Would anyone know a mill that we would be able to contact in reference to getting 1000 foot runs of tubing. Our shop have been having trouble sourcing certain sizes of aluminum tubing, could have to wait 8 to 12 weeks for certain sizes

Tubing would be in the range of 1.75 up to 4 inch with .5 wall
6061 aluminum

Thank You
Greg

You could find an extruder to make them, but you may be facing similar delays to get your work done. And if they don't have the dies, there's a delay to get those made too.

I doubt you'd find an actual mill to do such a limited run.

+1 to above, one problem you will face with extruders is that if it’s not a die that they consider “standard” you get to pay for the die, backer, sometimes even the bolster, very expensive for big port hole dies and spider dies.
Scour the area for extruders, each will have different standard dies that they can run, it used to be 250kg was the minimum press run, obviously small multi cavity dies produce x4, or x6 ie 4 cavity or six cavity, ive never seen more than 6, it would be unmanageable on the press, different leads, tangling etc
To work your weight per metre:
Cross sectional area x 0.00271
Mark
(In square mm)

So really what I should be looking for is an extruder

They would be able to handle smaller runs ?

Greg

In my experience, it is about pounds. 1000 pound run from an extruder plus die cost if it is a custom die. Even though I owned a die[maybe I still do?] it became more cost effective to buy from a local larger shop that had the same part in stock.
[edit] smaller size maybe the pound min is lower. I was running 1.5 pound per foot extrusion

Back