What's new
What's new

Mill Scale Removal, the easy way

Justonegear

Plastic
4 x 8 top on my fab table. Worked 4 hours and could only bring it to what is on the right. Put some white vinegar on it, covered it with plastic over night, next morning it was gone. Talk about do things the hard way...hope the pic shows up. The scale was liquefied and wiped off effortlessly.

I was using muriatic acid for removing mill scale. It worked quickly. Then I neutralized in a solution containing baking soda. I didn't like the corrosion and safety risks associated with keeping the acid around, even when it was fairly diluted.

I switched to vinegar many years ago. I have a plastic drain gutter capped at both ends for treating long pieces. Overnight usually works well, although probably too slow for a production situation.

I keep a tub of diluted muriatic acid for small parts. Removes scale in about an hour or so. Then I dunk or spray it with baking soda solution.

For larger parts, I use a garden sprayer and drape the part with paper towels. Keep it moist for a few hours then hose off with baking soda.

We finally got HRPO so no longer needed.

I switched to vinegar many years ago. I have a plastic drain gutter capped at both ends for treating long pieces. Overnight usually works well, although probably too slow for a production situation.

You can buy higher concentration acetic acid in bulk for faster results, but I've found the more concentrated cleaning vinegar works fast enough for my needs. I imagine an automated parts washer line with a low PH acid spraying around would be an OSHA field day. Maybe a conveyor line through a dip tank?

I have seen a mill scale removed by running into the mill
with a forklift. The scale was ruined and the mill needed
a handle repaired.

-Doozer

Back