What's new
What's new

Miller 350 Syncrowave "94 amp control not working

ratbldr427

Titanium
I checked on the fab forum and Miller's site but did not come across the exact problem I have.
The panel control will not go above 80 amps, the pedal checks out. All other functions work just won't go past 80 amps. I did not have a chance to go through it but one of our guys did and didn't find any thing obvious.

So the company bought a 300 amp inverter syncrowave replacement. I'm wondering if any one has run into the exact problem? Passed the sniff test.For its age it really doesn't have to many hours on it. However board repairs can be expensive and it can turn into a money pit. I told them I wanted it if we can come to terms on it, basically scrap value.

Does not have any equiptment with it as we used the torch and cooler and foot pedal on the new one.
Value?

I bought a bare bones one from HGR about 2 years ago. They had about a dozen of them from somewhere so I thought I would take a chance one one of them. I bought one for $550 + $135 shipping. It was untested but I took a chance figuring I could repair almost anything on a old transformer machine like it. Torch, $100, foot pedal, $150, cooler, $300, average values that I see around here. I would bust it open and check it out, look at it and clean connections, meter out rectifier's, look at the board. Do you have a picture or a serial number for the manual?

I an pretty sure we have the manuals for it. I have just been covered up with to many projects and not enough time plus trying to train some new people. As soon as I get a break I'll try to go through it. I was hoping for a long shot that someone would chime in and say "oh yeah mine did that and ------------- fixed it".As popular as they were I kinda thought that any common problems would be posted. But as my luck runs I will be the only one that has ran into that problem. It may be something simple as the pot on the dial is bad(I assume that is how it works).

ferretcatcher did yours turn out ok? One of the guys here bought a ragged out one for $350 from a fab shop and it works fine. This one looks like new.

We bought it new in 94 about $6k,for the die shop. They probably only put about 10hrs on it the first 6years they had it. When we moved to the new plant in 2000 the maint shop acquired it and has used it somewhat infrequently since.

Joe, as I posted in the first line of text I already checked Millers site and PM's site.
General has a lot of exposure and probably the majority of posters/watchers have welders.Just casting a wider net.

You did check that the Jumper Links are on the correct terminals for you input voltage level.

See Section 7 - Troubleshooting in owners manual.

There are Voltmeter/Ammeter help displays. Some components can be identified as bad.

Mine turned out great, The delivery company delivered it in the rain and was all worried about it not working when I got it. I opened it up even before I plugged it in and cleaned it out and tuned it up. It was a good buy and works great. Big transformer machine so it should last me forever. Mine came with the pulse options which I understand some did not.

rons, The problem just happened .The machine hasn't been moved or un plugged for quite awhile. I have run into that problem with our migs when someone take one out in the plant and sets the jumpers for hv and is to lazy to set them back. We are getting a portable propane unit supposidly.

I did get a chance to use the new 300Syncrowave inverter today. I did a cast iron stick weld repair.Really nice! Also a small tig job. Strange the noise it makes.

I did get a chance to use the new 300Syncrowave inverter today. I did a cast iron stick weld repair.Really nice! Also a small tig job. Strange the noise it makes.

Your syncrowave 350 issue is probably not as serious as a dead front panel.

That inverter noise you mention is what made me decide not to buy an inverter. It's the loudest when in AC mode. Ear plugs...
But you get better penetration with the inverter.

Back