What's new
What's new

Milling 5052 Honeycomb Panels

conceptdevelopers

Cast Iron
I have no experience cutting this material and I could really use some advice. I have two types of material. 1.) AMS-7438 Grade B Class 2 12.0-1/8 5052 and 2.) BMS 4-4. Type 3-10 Class NPA 3.1-3/16 5052.(except for the 5052 all that is Greek to me)I have attached the profile of the parts. They are both 48" long. I have also attached a picture of the Onsrud cutters the customer sent to machine these with. It has been suggested that I saw the material to a roughed size, hold it down with double sided tape , and machine it. Fine and dandy if I had a 5 axis but all we have is 3.
The part with big radius I would cut it with a Bull or Ball nose E.M. and generate the arc in any other material. Given all I have are the square end mills I'm stumped. The other part I can see holding it down with tape and roughing it and making a fixture to kick it up at the different angles but that doesn't answer the small .070 chamfers.
Besides saying we can't make them does anyone have suggestions?
The only help I get from Mgmt. is basically you figure it out and "make it so"

Attachments

• Honeycomb.JPG
    Honeycomb.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 110
  • End mill.jpg
    End mill.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 120
  • End mill 2.jpg
    End mill 2.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 133
not sure if this will help since you only have a 3 axis, but another way this is usually machined, is you fill it with water, freeze it and then machine in the frozen state, so then you essentially have a solid.

Back