What's new
What's new

Milling a Chromed Crowsfoot

Lowkey5

Plastic
I am a novice machinist using a Jet JMD-15 Milling/Drilling machine (I realize this is a fairly light duty machine). I need to mill a chromed 1 1/16" (3/8" socket) crowsfoot down to a thickness of 7mm.

41UbNfy8EeL._SX180_.jpg

My question is whether I can mill the crowsfoot as is or do I need to do something else prior to milling (anneal, remove chrome, something else)? Or, would it be best to simply use a grinder to grind it down to the desired thickness?

Thanks for your help!

A four flute carbide endmill will cut that without much problem. More important is taking light cuts and being sure to securely hold that in a vise, as it's an awkward geometry to hold onto. A sure way to wreck your cutter (or worse) is to have the wrench pull out of the vise while the endmill is engaged.

You might be best off milling a "nest" for it in a couple pieces of aluminum, then clamping the three parts (two Al, one wrench) into your vise. Use a smaller endmill (~1/4"), and run around a thousand RPM.

Rule of thumb / shade tree guide - if you can take metal off it with a fine file, you can machine it with HSS - just keep it really slow and use plenty of coolant

I am a novice machinist using a Jet JMD-15 Milling/Drilling machine (I realize this is a fairly light duty machine). I need to mill a chromed 1 1/16" (3/8" socket) crowsfoot down to a thickness of 7mm.

View attachment 292596

My question is whether I can mill the crowsfoot as is or do I need to do something else prior to milling (anneal, remove chrome, something else)? Or, would it be best to simply use a grinder to grind it down to the desired thickness?

Thanks for your help!

Use a HF $9.95 angle grinder instead.

Read the rules, this thread will probably get locked.

When your only tool is a machine tool everything looks like a precision job. Some times you just need a hammer... or grinder.

Belt sander,grinder or said "mill" op's going to chace the crows-foot across the shop a few times
Be just as easy to purchase a thin crows-foot

Back