What's new
What's new

Milling end of O2 steel 1/2 round bar stock

Barasu

Plastic
Hello, I work in a small shop and we have a old milling machine and want to mill the end of a 1/2 inch 02 tool steel round bar. The shape at the end I would like to leave the sides and a line down the middle that is a 1/16th or so. It would look like CIↃ somewhat. Raised edges 1/16th wide with raised middle line and 1/16 gap between middle line and outer lines. It will be a makers punch later after i forge it. I don't know what bit would be best for this hard steel.

Your best 'bit' would be a wire edm.

If you just have to try, mount the round bar vertically, held in a 'v' block with the stock hanging just off the back edge of the table. Use a stub 1/16" end mill, take 0.01 deep passes until you are maybe 0.03 deep. That should leave a nice stamp mark without being fragile.

"I don't know what bit would be best for this hard steel."

O2, like most tool steel, is annealed (soft) when you buy it. Any HS or carbide tool will cut it. After you do your cutting and shaping, you heat treat it to make it suit your intended use.

O2 Tool Steel AISI | 1.2842 | 9MnCrV8 Steel | BO2 - Otai Special Steel

There are companies that make a business of making special punches with text and/or designs. They are often better and cheaper than what you can do yourself.

Larry

Back